1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need power source for new wifi rear camera.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Solman636, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Solman636

Solman636 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a 12VDC wire in the liftgate that will supply power for the rear camera when the car is turned on even without the lights on ? Or will I have to resort to lights on always to use the camera? Also is there a wire to tap up front for camera display on left side of dash. Maybe in steering column or near fuse box? My multifunction display inadequate quality now for reverse driving, but I also want the camera to get better view of blind spot while driving.

Attached Files:

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure which wire you would want, but there are a lot of them which are easily accessible near the fuse box which is near the driver's left knee.

I think I found your answer here:

rear view camera using wireless install. | PriusChat

tap it off one side of the rear wiper motor. I guess that motor is controlled by pulling one side to ground, so the +12V side is available whenever the car is on.

(Note, in searching for this I ran across a few people who had tried wifi rear cameras on different vehicles and found them to be a little laggy, eventually going with wired cameras.)

PriusCamper likes this.