1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need side turn signals, rear fog light AND clear front parking light cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MelisPrius, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MelisPrius

MelisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently moved to Finland and they have requirements for cars here that are different than in the U.S. I have a 2008 Prius. I need to get the following modifications done in order to get the Prius through inspection:

* side turn signal lights
    * rear fog light
    * front parking lights need clear cover (not the standard orange that is used in the U.S.)

Has anyone made of these modifications? Any suggestions or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A number of people here have added the side mounted turn signals to their cars using factory Toyota parts. It will involve making a hole in the fender. You can disassemble the headlights and remove the amber section. I don't know if that will satisfy the regulation though. The rear fog lamps seem to be built into the tailights so you would need to buy some euro spec taillights if you wanted a factory look. A cheap way would to be to mount an aftermarket rear fog lamp under the bumper.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just checked on a broken headlight I have. You can remove the orange filter over the parking light.

4. tam85

tam85 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    I
    how to add a side mounted turn signal? can you please give me instructions jelloslug on how will i do it. thanks in advance.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can also buy the JDM mirror covers that have the signal in them, but I think there around $400 USD

Like These.....
    [​IMG]

As for the Headlights, yes, you can pull the headlight apart & remove the amber. Not sure if that will pass or no as the euro/JDM headlights have a white disfuser rather than the US spec light.

See.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SFV, are those pictures of the JDM headlights or the US headlights with ambers removed?

7. tam85

tam85 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    I
    how to add a side mounted turn signal? can you please give me instructions jelloslug on how will i do it. thanks in advance.
    _________
    turn signal assembly | ~tammy beede~

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are JDM headlights. :D

You have 2 choices......you can buy a set of Euro/JDM Prius fenders with the hole in there, or you can cut the hole out yourself.

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  10. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi just curious what you ended up doing? I'm in the same boat.

Also, do you need to physically take apart the headlight to get the orange reflector out?

Sidemarkers are easy as others in the US have done.

I'm still having a hard time figuring what to do about the rear fogs? EU spec taillights are easy to find but will the wiring be all the same? How do you turn the light on?

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any auto parts store should still sell a rear fog light kit. They are a legal requirement from about 1980 but can still be fitted as an option to older cars and the lights are still sold. The kits are dead simple and come with a switch.

You can't convert a brake light to a rear fog light as the rear fog is much brighter. It uses the same bulb brightness but has a highly reflective mirror in the housing.

Oh and it's annoying and an offence to leave it switched on when it's not foggy with reduced visibility (less than 100 yards). If someone behind you starts flashing their lights at you continuously, chances are you've left your rear fog on!

I didn't realise the amber side markers were illegal. So long as the small side light is white you should be OK with the yellow side marker and reflector. Many Euro BMW's, Chryslers and Volvos have them as standard.

12. webenchantressde

webenchantressde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just wondering what you ended up doing for a rear fog light? I have a 2012 PriusV, and I also need a rear fog light for Belgium. Thanks.

13. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car passed without the rear fog light - older gentleman assumed there was a rear fog because of the Euro-style tail lights :) What really will become a problem is if I get pulled over and asked why I don't have wipers on my HIDs which are mandatory in the EU (or at least in Poland)!

14. webenchantressde

webenchantressde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You are much more brave than me! The last thing I would want is to get pulled over with a crying newborn and toddler in the car by authorities that I can't understand in the first place... *Sigh* Thanks for letting me know!

15. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the same boat - 2 year old and a newborn next month - in this kind of a situation the crying is a get out of jail free card!