1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some advice on aftermarket spare keys.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ozyran, May 8, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

My wife and I have but 1 key for our 2002 Prius. So, when she forgets to leave the key with me, I can't use the car and I'm forced to drive the gas-guzzling Tacoma *grumble grumble grumble*

So, that leads me to my question. I found this transponder key on ebaY. Has anyone purchased one of these off-branded keys? Should I even consider getting it?

Thanks much for your time and help.

R,
    ~oz

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Anyone? Any words of wisdom?

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 8 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]437792[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if it will work or not. The page appears to be full of fear mongering. The "all sales final" clause isn't comforting if the thing doesn't work. Do you program one key by holding it next to the other? Since it appears that a plain valet key will work, why not copy that?

4. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 8 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]437922[/snapback]</div>
    True, these people love doing the fear mongering. However, there is one thing that keeps me from doing just a "valet" key: according to the owner's manual, a 'normal' key copy made from a non-transponder blank disables the hybrid mode, and the car will only run on the ICE in some kind of a theft prevention mode.

That was the only reason I was looking, and I've found a couple of other suppliers on ebaY. I'm sure if I look around I'll find them elsewhere via Google, too.

My question is just this: Has anyone else purchased an aftermarket transponder key blank?

Thanks again :D

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not exactly your case, but I have succeeded in programming the transponder in a keyfob for my 2006. You just have to get the correct chicken dance. I bought a keyfob off eBay, and programmed it with the procedure described as being for European Prius. Only the transponder can be self programmed for the 2006, which means that I have to plug that key into the keyslot to start the car. Works fine as a backup key.

For $10 or so, I'd chance it. If you lose your only transponder key for the 2002, it really is $1000 or so for a new key computer. Worst case you're out the $10 and have to go to the dealer for the high price version. I think it will work.

A "chicken dance" is a sequence of events used in adding a new key to the car's key database. It goes something like 1) insert master key, 2) open and close driver's door 3 times, 4) press brake 3 times, 5) open and close door 3 times, 5) remove master key, 6) insert new key, 7) press brake... and so on. There are several different sequences, so if one doesn't work, go looking for several others. The sequences are complicated enough that I had to try a number of times before I even got the right sequence. The eBay key should come with a chicken dance that works, so obviously try that one first.

Another option besides the dealer is to find a locksmith with a JET transponder key duplicator. They can create an exact copy of your existing key. You don't have to program the car for any additional keys, and the extra key doesn't count against your maximum key count. I think it was something like $65 to make such a key. The JET key blank for a 2002 Prius is a TR47-N-PHT.