1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some advice - Prius C vs. Used 3rd Gen Prius

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by col127, Jul 26, 2012.

1. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    hi all!

need some advice - deciding between a prius c two (or three) and a used 3rd gen prius (two).

here's what we're looking for - trying to get the most cost effective car between the two (factoring in maintenance, fuel efficiency, etc.). we plan to keep this car... forever :p

driving habits:
    - everyday life is all city driving. no highway at all.
    - however, we like traveling to chicago (2oo miles) often (say every 2 months) and we will be driving to toronto (600 miles) pretty often too (say every 2-3 months) - for highway driving, i typically drive around 75mph-85mph.
    - will always be running a/c - it will never be turned off (except for the winter maybe :p)

test drove both of them and here's what i noticed and what we liked:

prius c:
    pluses:
    - more nimble handling
    - steering is more responsive
    - we really like how much smaller the car is vs. the prius
    - like the screen of the car much better than prius
    - seats very comfortable

minuses:
    - a/c didn't seem that powerful - took a long time for the car to get cool
    - been reading on this forum about the windshield cracking - not sure if this is a widespread issue, but it's a concern

when i test drove the prius c, i was only averaging 36 MPG - most of it was highway driving. i was pushing it to around 80-85 MPH though. we also did have the A/C on high (it was around 105F yesterday, but i expect to always drive with A/C on.). but that's nowhere close to 48 MPG.

3rd gen prius :
    pluses:
    - more power on highway - getting to highway speeds is much easier and passing is much easier
    - stronger a/c

minuses:
    - handling seems more 'boat-like', not as responsive
    - seats not very comfortable - didn't feel too supportive

forgot to track the mileage on the test drive.

the 3rd gen prius we're looking at has about 17000 miles, it's 2011 and pricing is $20,999.

on the prius c, we've been talking initially, and we at the very least can shave a few hundred off MSRP.

both of us like the prius C a whole lot more, but we're open to both cars. my two biggest concerns with the prius C is the gas mileage with A/C on all the time and the windshield cracking issue...

any advice for us based on what i've written here? we're hoping to buy soon. let me know if you have any other questions. thanks all! appreciate the help :)

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is just a personal opinion but since you're asking, I'll give it.

The 3rd gen Prius seems like a better fit for you. From what it sounds like to me, you like to drive fast when driving on the highway. The C is specifically designed for city use. The 3rd gen is more of a multi-use vehicle. If you're going to be driving that fast, I'm really second guessing the Prius at all for you. If you look at the Honda Insight or the Civic Hybrid, they are more tuned/designed for highway mileage. I'm not a fan of the Insight but, I know it does tend to outdo the Prius on high speed highway mileage.

At those speeds, the Prius (either the C or 3rd gen) will not realize its full potential. As you probably noticed, the Prius doesn't like going 80-85. They are capable of it but at a price (fuel economy suffers). Most of us use to drive our old cars fast (a relative term) but we become focused on fuel economy and we tend to slow down in the Prius (it just happens over time). The EPA fuel economy figures are tested w/ the AC off and at much slower speeds than you're talking however, even at those speeds, it will outdo nearly every other car on the road. The biggest benefit "any" Prius offers is increased city fuel economy. Once you get used to it, you have a really hard time driving anything that doesn't turn off the engine at stoplights and coasting.

You're situation is a tough one to judge since you're everyday driving is city but you do those longer trips and like to drive fast.

3. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Appreciate the thoughts - I think we're wanting to stay with a Prius at this point. So with A/C on all the time, what kind of MPG could we really anticipate to have? Say in the city and on the highway (say driving 'not fast' - around 65-75MP)? I find those numbers very misleading, but I guess that's how all auto manufacturers are doing it?

4. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For a 3rd gen, @ 65 hwy, you should see 48 or better. 75 mph will bring it down to about 45 (I'm guessing). The AC is not really a factor on the hwy. In the city w/ the AC on, you should see about 43 or better.

As far as the C is concerned, the 3rd gen should do better on the hwy but the C is significantly better in the city. I don't own a C (or a gen III) but, I'm guessing you could easily get 43 mpg or better, in the city, w/ the AC on all the time.

Here are some good threads to read

New Prius C owners please post | PriusChat
    Calculated MPG vs. Indicated MPG of the c - Please post your results | PriusChat
    A/C is *EVIL* 1111 | PriusChat
    calculated vs. computer MPG - Please post your results | PriusChat

5. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a C and my highway mileage is usually right around 46-48 mpg. I almost always have the a/c on but after the inital cool down I drop it down to its lowest level and I usually run around 74/75 miles an hour on cruise.

6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You're a speed demon!!!! :)

BGGirl likes this.
  7. littlebigland

littlebigland Sonic Blue Prius c

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have to say: for city driving the c is VERY NICE. I always dreaded driving to Brooklyn Heights and other similar areas in NYC and I had to do that a lot this summer, but the c has made it fun. I've been getting 60+ MPG on each trip! Parking is also easy ;) I can fit in some tiny spots.

8. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, and it is kind of hard to hide in this car now. LOL Good thing I have a good defense attorney! Hee Hee

9. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ended up getting the C - got an amazing deal & my wife really likes the car :)

littlebigland likes this.
  10. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yay! Congrats!

11. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you thank you! We have been eyeing the C for a long time and could never get a deal until last night! We even took delivery last night - same day as purchase!! :)

12. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You should post some pics!!!

13. littlebigland

littlebigland Sonic Blue Prius c

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!!! Post pics!

I'm curious to see the color! ;)

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats. I think you will be happy. :)

15. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Will try to post some pics later tonight :)