1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Richard Koop, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Richard Koop

Richard Koop New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to this obviously. But I'm looking to buy a Toyota Prius and I'm a poor college student. I will not be able to afford anything like the gen 3 models. I found a used 2005 toyota Prius with around 92,000 miles on it for like $10000. I'm from Kentucky, but I'm wondering if I should go for it or avoid. I've set my mind into buying a Prius ready to get rid of my jeep(turning into a rust bucket). I'll put link to the car below. Just looking for some advice. Hope some of you are willing to help, I'll be much appreciative.

Used 2005 Toyota Prius For Sale | Dry Ridge KY.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually if I'm reading the ad correctly it's $11,000 as they are expecting a $1,000 dollar down payment.

But in any case I'm going to say something potentially unpopular within "Prius Chat". I wouldn't do it. If you are as you describe yourself a "poor" college student, I'd keep the Prius as a goal for when you have your career and job more established and can potentially afford a newer vehicle.

Even though it may be in great shape, that Prius is still an 8 model year old vehicle, and even in good/great shape that comes with an inherent degree of risk as far as potential maintenance issues coming up.

If I was on a budget, had less than $10,000 to spend, I'm afraid I'd want to look at potentially newer and less complicated vehicles.

Any used vehicle is a risk. So it's difficult. You say you have "your mind set" on a Prius? Well? Don't mean to rain on your parade, and certainly I respect The Prius as a vehicle. I think Prius are very reliable vehicles, but I also think any and all vehicles entering that 7-10 years old range, are reaching an age where just regular issues of wear and tear and time start to result in a commitment to spending more on maintenance.

$11,000 for a 8 year old vehicle, even one owner and well maintained, starts to fall in that gray area. If your hearts set on it? Well if I bought ANY vehicle 8 years or older used, I'd do it with the thought that I might have to invest an additional percentage into maintenance over the next few years.

I drove a 1992 Accord that was 16+ years old when I traded it in. IMO it was still a reliable vehicle but the last 3-4 years that I owned it, I could expect one "normal" but semi-major repair a year. On the ICE Accord, this was expected things like radiator, timing belt, front end suspension....things not flawed, but as a daily driver, things that simply do wear out in time.

Think about your budget, then decide. IMO that's a lot of money to spend on a vehicle approaching a decade old.

xpcman likes this.
  3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah, that No Haggle price is in addition to the $1,000 down payment. $11,000 for this car is very strong.

You might want to expand your search area.
    2007 Toyota Prius

2006 Toyota Prius NAVIGATION LOADED 55 MPG with Driver Air Bag

I would advise my son to not get into debt if possible, especially while in school. Debt can control your life. But if that is not possible to go with the least amount of expenses that are reasonable and comfortable. You have to determine your comfort level with debt while in school.

Depending on your driving needs, the Prius, with it's service record and mpg (saving daily operating expenses), may be reasonable. I would tell him to consider an older higher mileage Prius until after school and likely beyond. Of course one has to be selective and find the best car for the money, a one owner if possible, a good service record definitely, avoid rebuilt titles.

You need a reserve fund for unexpected repairs with any car. But the Prius service history is far better than most cars. And the most expensive parts are becoming more available at a lower price from salvage yards as more of these cars are involved in wrecks. Some DIY aptitude can save lots of money with any car. The relative freedom of 45+ mpg is very attractive.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you were my child, i would advise avoiding prius and picking up a camry, yaris, matrix, corolla, etc. yes, the mpg's won't be as good, and yes, the prius is a great and very reliable car. but, if something does go wrong, it can be a very expensive fix, and you're in no position to pay for it. finish college, find a job and then look for a prius if you're still interested. all the best!

xpcman likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I like about Prius Chat.

I do visit other automotive websites and in most of them? If someone came in asking about buying that automotive websites vehicle the majority of the posts would be in the affirmative 'Do It" regardless of the reality vein.

I respect the Prius Chat communities honesty. I'm always mindful that this IS a Prius enthusiasts website but at the same time I applaud the ability of this environment to step back and evaluate the entire situation and not simply default to '"Prius Good!" override thinking.

I don't witness that flexibility in most other sites.

Les_PL likes this.
  6. Rick Brown

Rick Brown New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with most on here. I think you are better served spending $6k or so and getting a Camry or Accord. They tend to be far more reliable and still get great mileage. I have a 2005 Hyandai Elantra that I bought for $6k of off Craigslist and it gets 35 in the city and 40 on the high way and runs like a champ.

Oh yeah..Carfac Carfax..do no be cheap...run it on any car you are considering buying.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much can you really afford to spend on a car? How much can you afford to spend on potential repairs & maintenance?

You'll probably be better off getting a newer entry level vehicle. A Prius is low maintenance, not no maintenance. Around 8 years/100000 miles maintenance is expected. How good are the tires? When were the fluids changed? You may be looking at brakes & spark plugs within the next year. $100 here, $100 there isn't a lot of money except when you don't have it.

Is there anything wrong with your Jeep besides the rust? Back in my college days most of us drove beaters. 10, 15 year old cars were common. One guy was younger than the car he was driving. Our quarter panels were rusted out. Maybe half the dash lights were burned out and a gauge or two didn't work. And yes, we had to drive uphill, both ways in the blinding snow or torrential rain.

People get themselves upside down because they confuse "want" for "need". Save some money & save some stress. A Prius will still be here when you're ready.

8. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I remember being a poor college student myself. 10k is alot of money for a used car, and like others have said there are many other choices out there that comes with much less potential expenses. Believe me I understand the "my mind is set" part. Take it from a person who had lived in a Toyota Supra for a month because he couldn't afford payments and maintenance needed on the car. There is no such thing as my mind is set, especially when I look back in the past. How many "I must have" items that I would sell a kidney to buy, looking back now seems a little silly to me. Everyone's situations are different. Your kind of poor and my kind of poor is different as well. Wish you the best and hope you don't have to regret poor car buying choices like I did.