1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need some prius advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by erika, Mar 8, 2008.

1. erika

erika New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have been looking for a used Prius, ideally one of the older models since they are both more in my price range and come in the sedan style that I greatly prefer to the hatchback. I have found a 2003 with about 100,000 miles on it for sale for $8,900 - which is more milage than I would ideally like, but given what else I have seen in the New York City area the price seems to be adjusted accordingly. I would be interested in knowing people's general experience with the 2003 model, especially any specific experience with a car with that many miles on it. Also, according to Consumer Reports the 2003 model does not have a great electrical system, so I'd be interested in any specific experience people have had in that area as well. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

2. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think its too much for the mileage. Go new!

3. halleyscomet

halleyscomet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The resale prices are so high on used prius and in most cases if you finance you're interest rate will be higher, going new may be a better option. I'm not much of a hatchback gal myself, but I just close the trunk curtain (that's what I call it) and it cover up the trunk area and looks more sedan ish to me... I just got my new prius on Thrusday and feel it's SO worth the INVESTMENT. Take a minute and calculate the savings you will have in gas to see if it could help you offset the payment, that's what we did...

I will be driving a little for work and the mileage reimbursemnt difference between my Jeep Wrangle and Prius will pay for the prius + gas!

4. livewire

livewire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a friend with a 2001 model that has almost 200,000 miles on it with very few replacement parts, so if the car you're looking at is well maintained with receipts, $8-9000 may be a fair price in the City as it will probably still give lots of trouble-free miles. I will have to ask him if he has had any electrical issues with his car.

That said you may want to look for a little bit newer one if you are going to finance as it may end up being cheaper rate-wise. I wasn't sure if I would like the hatchback, but I am a station wagon type of person, so it has worked out well. I can fit huge amounts in the Prius - I only have to rent a pickup truck occasionally for the really big/messy things.