1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need struts - Les Schwab or Toyota dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by coder12, Sep 12, 2017.

1. coder12

coder12 I can fit two sea kayaks on top of the Prius!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2004, 330K miles and runs great x 13 yrs but needs new struts and alignment. It's $950 at LS and they offer a lifetime warranty with convenient hours. I do tires and brakes at LS - love their service. Toyota is several hundred dollars more with less convenient customer service. Do after-market (non Toyota) struts matter? Where do I go and why?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A long time ago I saw on Toyota's website somewhere that Toyota replacement struts also come with a lifetime warranty. Might be worth some research, because I thought it covers labor too, but please don't quote me on that...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I searched and I guess they discontinued the program July 31, 2013.

I'd go with LS...

4. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got an estimate from Schwabe that shocked me too, and I loved their service. I got a much better deal at West Coast Tire and Wheel. Though my favorite was ordering them with springs online and doing the work myself. By the way, what does LS consider to be the lifetime of a strut and are they still recommending the Toyo tire for the Pri?

iPhone ?

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Lifetime" warranties on parts, by shops or manufactures, usu have all kinds of exclusions; read the fine print, esp the exclusions.

Companies know only a small percentage of people utilize the lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty is all marketing; helps steer consumers to their product(s). In your case of LS and thier lifetime strut/shock, you still have to pay their exhoborant labor rates, to utilize the lifetime warranty for that part.

A mechanic once told me, the life of a lifetime part, is when the part fails, that is the life of said part. Makes sense, nothing lasts forever.

The most cost effective strut/shock replacement would be to buy a major brand strut/shock, and DIY. When its time to replace the strut/shock, you will likley be able to get a new warranted replacement.

Who makes the struts/shocks for Les Schwab? Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, Unity, etc?
    Does the brand of strut/shock matter? Many auto entusists say yes, and I woukd agree to an extent. Remember the old addage: you get what you pay for. BTW, Toyota uses KYB for their struts/shocks, at least for the Prius.

All the major strut/shock maufactures say 5years/50,000miles is the replacement interval to maintain optimum suspension handling and braking characteristics. Remember, the strut/shock keeps your tire on the ground.

Paul Schenck and SFO like this.
  6. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I try NAPA as they offer KYB struts and shocks for Prius. KYB are OEM for Prius.