1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need suggestion on buying Prius

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Gogreen, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Gogreen

Gogreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

I am thinking of buying Prius but after reading about the technical problems people are facing while using this, I am a bit skeptical about my decision. I would appreciate if anybody will suggest on this.

I also wanted to know what is the avg fuel milage people are getting over the period they have owned the car(Prius)? I am trying to decide between Prius and Honda Civic (Non-hybrid).

2. mgipe

mgipe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gogreen_prius @ Aug 24 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]501786[/snapback]</div>
    Technical problems with the Prius are extremely rare. Cruising this forum and concluding that Prius owners have lots of problems with their cars is like walking down a hospital corridor and concluding that humans are fundamentally sick creatures. :)

A quick search of the forum will yield lots of posts concerning typical mileage. I've been averaging around 51 mpg since I bought the car three months ago, and it's climbing.

Although the Civic is a very nice car, for me the Prius has all the advantages. Your needs may be different. Try them both. Rent them and drive around for a few days.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your decision!

3. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it helps give you peace of mind, Consumer Reports rates the Prius as one of the most reliable mid-sized cars.

Your actual mileage will probably be in the mid 40's to low 50's. Some people on this forum get something like 80 MPG, but the people on the forum aren't your typical drivers.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gogreen_prius @ Aug 24 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]501786[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. For shopping I recommend www.carbuyingtips.com and www.cars.com. I have a lifetime 50.8mpg over 16000+ miles and 14 months.

Look at Consumer Reports car issue. Toyotas in general and the Prius in particular have high quality and reliability ratings. There is a 100,000 or 150,000 mile warranty on the hybrid parts. All cars will have some problems. In the chat room the percentage will seem high because this is where owners come for answers. If you find a Civic chat room I'm sure it is full of reported problems.

The Prius needs less maintenance, doesn't burn oil, and can haul an amazing amount of stuff. The Civic is smaller and cheaper. Drive both to determine which one fits your needs the best.

Check out John's site for a ton of useful information: http://john1701a.com/

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid on a 12,000 mile, 8 month long test drive, and then traded it in on the Prius. The hatchback alone makes it worth buying the Prius. The Civic trunk was very small, though it would be slightly larger on the Non-Hybrid.

6. Gogreen

Gogreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks all for your suggestions. Those are really helpful.

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gogreen_prius @ Aug 24 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]501786[/snapback]</div>
    Your mpg is going to depend on a number of factors including the length of your average trip, the type of terrain, and the amount of traffic. I've had my Prius for about 14 months and my lifetime average is about 44mpg. However, during the first few months, my average was over 50 -- that was because I was driving the Prius much longer distances. It takes a while for it to reach its optimum fuel efficiency, so the mileage isn't great on short trips -- although still better than most other cars. Also, contrary to popular belief, and also to some others' experiences, I find it does worse in city driving, especially where there are a lot of traffic lights, because it always takes gas to accelerate from a complete stop.

I am very happy with my Prius and am so glad I bought it.