1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need suggestions for aftermarket bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, May 23, 2009.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello. We have a 2008 package #2 prius which does not have the integrated bluetooth phone system. I am looking for suggestions for a system that when installed would be clean looking. It does not need to integrate with the audio system but that would be fine and I'm not a big fan of the speakers that fit on the visor. I also don't want to have to take it out and charge it all the time so if it can be tied into the power of the car that would be great. I installed a GPS device that also has a bluetooth speaker, but the sound is really bad and the GPS does not work well at all. If anyone has a system that they really like I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
    Steve

2. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well since no responses to this post I though that I would answer it myself in case someone in the future has the same issue.

After doing a lot of research I came across this aftermarket bluetooth adapter:
    hxxp://www.egocorpusa.com/index.php/products/34-products/79-ego-dash-ts-factory-look-n-feel-for-toyota-lexus-and-scion.html

This is so new that it was hard to really get a lot of info. The install looked easy enough, however there was no screen to really make sure that everything was working but it was a clean install. I didn't get this.

Settled on the Parrot 3200-LS because my wife wanted something with a screen. This was such an easy set up that it makes me laugh at those who paid an extra 2-3k for these options. The hard part was actually getting it to talk to my wife's phone because her phone was so new. The people at Parrot were really helpful too as I bought it from a local shop (got to support the locals).

It mutes the radio when a call comes in and the sound quality on both ends is fantastic! BTW I also have the VAIS SL2i-UP Ipod adapter installed. No problems with this either.

I also wanted a homelink mirror and found a great mount for my scanguage. Only had 1 minor problem which was the space up top gets tight when you try to cram a bunch of wires from the mirror to the header.

I followed the instructions for mirror install and wire routing found here:
    hxxp://www.vfaq.net/mods/ECMirror.html

I did remove the radio and MFD unit (cannot remember where I got the info on how to do, but it is around)

I am waiting for my Pro.fit mount to make the final place where the 3200-LS screen will live. You can find that info here:
    hxxp://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Compatibility2.cfm

Scroll down to the prius and click on the PDF. This is an install instruction sheet that shows you where the mount is placed so you get the best look at what it will look like. You should e-mail the company and inquire about the mount as they will give you a 10% off code to order it with.

Bought the Mirror and Blend mount for the Scanguage II here:
    hxxp://www.mgtmotorsports.com/

One thing about the mirror kit. I got the Mito wiring harness which is the same as in the instruction that I posted so there wasn't any problems there, however I did find that there were 2 lengths of wire covers. This is the small piece of plastic that channels wires from the back of the mirror up to the header and hides them. This company didn't know of the two sizes and only had the longer version. The short one covers from 2 inches and can expand to cover up to 3.5 inches. The long one covers from 3.5 inches and can expand to cover up to 6.5 inches. I had to cut it to fit which was not a problem. I guess if you have the choice I would get the smaller one as it will fit no problem. You will not need the button kit, but it usually comes with this any ways.

I initially tried getting the mirror from hxxtp://shop.autodimmingmirrors.com/index.asp but found that the customer service was poor. Not bad, but not super [FONT=&quot]responsive [/FONT]and never did actually talk to a real person.

So because all of the parts came from places in California I paid sales tax so your experience may differ.

Items from MGT motorsport
    BlendMount Kit for ScanGaugeII $45.00
    Mirror 50-GENK41A
    HomeLink
    Auto-Dimming
    Gentex Harness $169.00
    Subtotal $214.00
    Sales Tax $18.73
    Shipping (NO Handling) $18.44
    Order Total $251.17

Items from Lombards Auto Sound
    Parrot Color 3200-LS $199.00
    QCToy-1 Toyota & Scion Non-JBL Parrot Adapter $50.00
    Sales Tax $20.55
    Order Total $269.54

Items from Pro.fit international
    Pro.fit TY60-09-G3 mounting system $44.96
    Shipping $9.00
    Final cost $53.96

Total project cost: $574.67

Might be a little pricy for some, but since I didn't spend the initial $2-3K to get the package 6 I think that it is worth it. And you can dial the phone while driving! Not to mention now you don't have to do all the leg working finding where to get this stuff.

Here are the picts of the mirror and blend mount for those interested. I don't have the Pro.fit mount yet, but may include shots later. If not and you want to see please let me know.

Steve

Attached Files:

3. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Funny thing, I just saw in one of the pictures is my garage door opener on the visor. Ha Ha Ha. I took these picts after the install but before the programing the homelink mirror and removal of the ugly door remote. Just an FYI.

Steve

4. dannyman

dannyman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am considering the Scosche Blue Fusion. Seen them for around $250+ on ebay.

Attached Files:

5. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 which works great as a GPS and also as a bluetooth speaker and it is for sale...(I guess I need to place an ad in the for sale section, sorry)