1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need suggestions on which Generation III Prius to buy.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Vernay, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello:

I have approximately 18k to spend on a vehicle. My heart is set on purchasing a Generation III prius with low miles, navigation and other bells and whistles. I'm just not that familiar with the cars. I did see a generation II 2007 prius with 36k miles that I was considering. It only cost 13k. What are your thoughts. I need as much help as possible. Thank you so much for your answers in advance.

Also, what is the average gas mileage for the car that you recommend?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. they all get around 50 mpg average. nothing wrong with the '07. both generations have their strong and weak points, it's really a matter of preference. all the best!(y)

wolfeman and Vernay like this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is enough difference between gen2 and gen3 that you need to test drive both. I would be concerned of battery health after 7 years and only 36000 miles.

4. Vernay

Vernay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply. Are you saying that the battery could possibly be going bad with only 36 thousand miles? I'm really not familiar with the prius, thus is why I ask. My question to you is (knowing something about the prius) would you purchase the 2007 for yourself or would you go for a newer year?

5. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go with the genII. At 13k and only 36k miles that's half the price of my gen3 I just bought. At that price the differences would be marginal at best. Used is the way to go (as I found out the hard way after buying mine new) as the value drops pretty quickly on used hybrids.

BTW. In Georgia, with the state and federal tax credits, a new Nissan Leaf is less than 18k. Just heard that on NPR today.

Vernay likes this.
  6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would suggest a 12 or 13 used, should be able to find a good one.

Vernay likes this.
  7. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The gen 3 is a more impressive looking vehicle. Safer too, more airbags.

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All I can say is this...for Gen 3 be sure to test drive a Prius 4 for the power seats. You can save money on the Prius 3 or Prius 2, but if the manual-adjust seat isn't comfortable for you, you'll regret owning it or not opting for a Prius 4.

If I keep mine, I'm going to have to find a way to convert the driver seat to a power seat to see if it helps.

Bob-blehead likes this.
  9. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Usually once you set your seats, you never have to adjust them anymore anyhow. The seat in the La Ferrari isn't even adjustable! Now if you have multiple drivers for the one car, I could see having power seats.

Rodlv likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't test drive the car before buying, shame on you!(n)

11. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Definitely test drive both. I find the gen 3 to be better in pretty much every area. My biggest gripe on the gen 2 is the terrible seating position. I can never get comfortable when driving a gen 2.

Regular Customer likes this.
  12. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this why a seat extension kit is sold?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel the complete opposite, I find the Gen2 has a far more superior feel to it. The Gen3 feel very claustrophobic, can't get comfortable.

14. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you don't share the car with anyone, there's no need for a power seat. Set it once the day you take it home and forget it. In fact it would be better not to get a power seat to save weight and reduce the amount of electronics that could fail.

NGMPRIUS likes this.
  15. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I literally bought my new gen3 on a whim so I never got to choose between the too. As far as power seats go, I always thought that was a waste. It's one of those things you set and never worry about again. Not a big deal to me.

16. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd imagine. I can put the seat all the way back and I still feel like I'm sitting on top of the steering wheel.

Yeah I mean, different things work for different people. I have less headroom in the gen 2, feel way closer to the windshield and steering wheel.
    There's also way more engine noise.

17. Heat Gun

Heat Gun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wrong post, never mind

18. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not so.

The power seat is an 8-way adjustment. The manual is a 6-way adjustment. Seat height and level are combined into one adjustment. I am utterly unhappy with the seating in my Gen3 Prius 2. My only hope is that the power seat separating level from height adjustment will alleviate what's causing the problem.

You CAN NOT tell from a test drive if the seat is going to be comfortable. Unless you want to spend two hours sitting in the parking lot. A test drive just isn't long enough. I wanted to rent a Prius first for a couple of days, but no place had them for rental. If neither seat (power or manual) was going to be comfortable for more than 20 minutes in the seat, I would NOT have bought my Prius.

FWIW, my dad had a Camry...manual seats. When he had problems, he put in the power seat hardware, and it made all the difference.

19. bcarraher

bcarraher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try the Hertz Rent2Buy program. You select the specific then have three days to drive it and have it inspected. If you like it you buy for the upfront price. If not, return it and pay the rental fee. Most cars are under 40K miles.

iPhone ?

Bob-blehead likes this.
  20. Heat Gun

Heat Gun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plus if you decide to keep the car they dont charge you for 3-day rental