1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Tire Help - I know nothing about them

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheNewGuy8, May 6, 2011.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the 2006Prius I'm getting in June has:

Bridgestone 185/65R15 88H "Ecopies"

Also a 1-season old set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta-RS 185/65 R15 92R XL (My dad said these were the best set of snow tires available).

I don't need the snows at this point, obviously, but I'm keeping them in case I move back to a colder climate.

But - as for the main tires - are they any good? I think they're in good condition and I know rotations and alignments have been done when scheduled.

Thanks!

PS. And yes all the hubcaps have wheel locks.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  3. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had bridgestone ecopia ep422 now for last 11000 miles and can say I would recommend them to anyone that asks. The are a much smoother ride and quieter than oem tires. I noticed an increase in mpg's as well.

4. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires: a ring-shaped covering made out of synthetic rubber, natural rubber, wire, and fabric that fits around a wheel rim to protect it and enable better vehicle performance by providing a flexible cushion that absorbs shock while keeping the wheel in close contact with the ground.

There, now you know something about then. :D

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, it may be obvious to you, but not so obvious to others, LOL. Where in the US (roughly) do you live? The concensus these days is even if you're not getting a lot of snow, snow tires are a big plus for traction, whenever ambient temperatures go below 5 degrees Centigrade. Is that roughly 40 degrees Fahrenheit?

Also, the Bridgestone Ecopias are a good line of tires, known for LRR. Not sure what specific Ecopia you're talking about, if it's EP20, and likely any of the others, they're "ok" when new in snow, but as soon as tread diminishes, say below 6/32" remaining tread depth, they're not good at all.

6. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a new set of Ecopia EP 100s that I like so far... not too much experience with them yet. My mileage has been good with them already even though I haven't broken them in, although it's also warmed up a bit lately.

I have a set of blizzaks for the winter, which I don't think are low rolling resistance, but they sure get me through the snow.

7. Hasan

Hasan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

:thumb:

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out my thread on LRR Tires if you want to research the best tire for your needs.

If you want simplified recommendations without considering the need for snow traction:

Ecopia EP100 or EP422
    Michelin Energy Saver A/S
    Yokohama dB Super E-Spec
    Goodyear Fuel Saver

All the above are very fuel efficient and are given high ratings by Prius Chat members.

9. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone.

I'll be in the Northeast for the summer and then CA until next summer, So I won't need snows. But I might be going back to school in the northeast in which case I'll need 'em for the winter. Just wanted to make sure these Ecopias were a good tire and it seems like they are :)

10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 422s are all season so if you end up in some snow you won't need to go tire shopping again. The 100s are summer only. If you end up somewhere with serious snow and/or cold then I'd consider a proper winter tire for winter driving.