1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need tire info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mpt33905, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mpt33905

mpt33905 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently told by my toyota dealer that I need new tires, again. First time at 23,000 and now at 58,000. They put Yokohama tires on last time. I sure am feeling like the dealer is only concerned about their bottom line!
    So, my question is.. What is the best tire for the 06 Prius? I live in Florida year round. Sould I buy tires from someone other than the dealer? I'm open to suggestions. I have looked at soo many web sites and no one can seem to come up with a definite answer. I would like quiet, LONG lasting, not really overly concerned about mpg- after all, it is a Prius..
    Help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What! :eek:

Fuel efficient vehicles are all the more sensitive to variations in rolling resistance. That said, Low Rolling Resistance and long lasting often go hand in hand. I'd suggest to navigate over to TireRack, say you're looking for tires, list all that are available, and then start playing around with the exclusion filter. Personally, I'd exclude all but low rolling resistance, then look for some that also show good tread life (high UTQG value).

Here's TireRack's page for 2006 Prius:

Tire Search Results

(Currently set to only show LRR, the exclusion settings are down the left side)

I see you can also sort by UTQG, best (of LRR choices) to worst descending here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...Prius&autoModClar=&sortCode=37550&tireIndex=0

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out Michelin Energy Savers, Hydro Edge and they have MP4? all give high mileage and are LRR design. I am a fan of Good Year Assurance Fuel Max. They are how-ever a All season which may not appeal to you being in Florida? Hal

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which Yokahamas did they put on. They make a ton of different tires. And please don't just say Avid since there are 11 of those.

Extreme Performance Summer
    ADVAN Neova AD07
    ADVAN Neova AD08

Max Performance Summer
    ADVAN Sport
    ADVAN Sport ZPS

Ultra High Performance Summer
    A008
    A022H0
    ADVAN A046
    ADVAN A10A
    ADVAN A10F
    ADVAN A13C
    AVS ES100
    AVS S1
    Parada Spec-2
    S.drive

Ultra High Performance All-Season
    ADVAN A82A
    ADVAN S.4.
    AVID ENVigor (W)
    AVID W4S

High Performance All-Season
    AVID ENVigor (H&V)
    AVID H4S
    S32A

High Performance Summer
    ADVAN A11A
    ADVAN A680
    ADVAN A83A

Grand Touring Summer
    dB Super E-Spec

Standard Touring All-Season
    AVID TOURING-S
    AVID TRZ
    Y376B
    Y376M
    Y376R

Passenger All-Season
    AVID C33
    AVID S33
    AVID S33B
    AVID S33D
    AVID S34B
    AVID S34D
    AVID S34F
    AVS EF1 E-102
    AVS EF1 E-Spec E105
    Y372

Track & Competition DOT
    ADVAN A048

5. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At least he won't be worried about snow or ice with those Assurance Fuel Max tires.

I'm more a fan of Yokohama Avid ENVigor or General Altimax HP which you can get cheaper.

To the OP, be sure you look on tirerack.com and figure out the right size to get based on revs per mile. You want something close to 850 (lower is OK if you use high PSIs).

The correct 15" Altimax HP for a Gen II Prius would be 195/60R15 at 850 RPM.

The correct 15" Avid ENVigor for a Gen II Prius would be 185/65R15 at 850 RPM.

I'd just call around to all the tire shops in your town and get prices for those including mounting, balancing, tire stems, tax and such and compare pricing.

But if you see another tire you like feel free to consider it as well. LRR tires are fine in the south since you don't have to worry about snow/ice.

edit: I haven't gotten used to it but the highest rated tire in this price range is the Hankook Optimo H727. You'll want the 195/65R15 which is 831 RPM (Revs Per Mile) with sidewal max of 44 psi. Tirerack says $74 per tire and it's the best rated "Standard Touring All-Season".

I'm a fan of running higher PSI so I like that the Avid ENVigor and Altimax HP are 51 PSI marked but the Optimo H727 is very highly rated on tirerack so I guess I should get used to mentioning it.

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No you don't have to go to the dealer for replacement tires, especially when they last 20k.
    Yes you should buy a Michelin tire, a hydro model as you are in a wet at times state, get a quote from tire wrack and then compare it to some local tire dealers, labor is 50$ or so for installation and look for a road hazard guarantee, make sure to inflate to 42f 40r and rotate them a few times a year.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you buy from Discount Tire, you get lifetime free rotations. Just saying. Is it about the same price as Tire Rack when you add shipping. I am about to change my 2006 to Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.