1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need To Buy Tires Monday Morning

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Erin Rothchild-Realtor, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi Everyone:welcome:,

At 30k miles on an 09 Touring...need to buy tires Monday. Please share your thoughts about which tire you prefer..Houston area...Have had dealer suggest Continentals with a 400 treadwear for around $800, Called Firestone today and they suggested a Bridgestone Ecopia they said had a 450 treadwear and was rated for 50k miles..$538 OTD. Have tried to check tire "threads" not very sucessfully...did find info on the Goodyear Fuelmax 195/60/15. I drive alot and sometimes in heavy rain..they also had a Bridgestone Potenzia which has a 450 treadware, and are good rain tires, but when you rotate them, you can only flip flop the right side front and back, and the left side front and back..not cross sides...Help? Please? Thank You ALL :cheer2:Erin

[email protected]

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Erin,

Your Touring has 16" wheels and an OEM tire size of 195/55R16.

In that OEM tire size your selection is limited to a handful+ of tires and a bunch of runflats.

For a much greater selection in tires, you'll have to change to the 205/55R16 size. For example, The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, as well as the two all season tires that are well known for their rain performance -- the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and the Michelin HydroEdge -- come in the 205/55R16 size, but not the OEM 195/55R16 size.

1 person likes this.
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, here's a list of the all season tires that TireRack.com sells in the OEM 195/55R16 size that are not runflats (note that the list includes the OEM Turanzas, as well as the Ecopia and some of the other tires you mentioned):

Tire Search Results

Also available in the OEM 195/55R16 size is the Falken Ziex ZE-912. But they are hard to find. I know of one online place that sells them for $77 each plus delivery:

FALKEN ZIEX ZE-912

Personally, if I had to get tires for a Touring, I'd get one of the following (in no particular order ... each tire has its pros and cons):

1. The Bridgestone Ecopia in the OEM 195/55R16 size.

2. The Falken Ziex ZE-912 in the OEM 195/55R16 size.

3. The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred in the 205/55R16 size.

4. The Michelin X-Radial (only available at clubs like Costco) in the 205/55R16 size.

5. The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max in the 205/55R16 size.

Good luck.

2 people like this.
  4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boo you're it
    Excellent post
    personally I wouldn't hesitate to get the michelin's

1 person likes this.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, Michelins from Costco are one of the best tire buys around.

This is also a very good place to get tires: Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Tire rack has a very large selection, you can order on line and they will ship them to a tire store near you (you have some choice) that will install them. I doubt you could get them by Monday though.

I have used both Tire Rack and Costco and have been pleased with both.

1 person likes this.
  6. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tire rack is a great place for ratings, user reviews and pricing

1 person likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Agreed w/ Boo's X-Radial recomendation ... quite similar in wear & rolling resistance to our Michelin Hydroedges ... which btw ... we have over 70K on 'em and they look like new!

1 person likes this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like my General Altimax

1 person likes this.
  9. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is my 10th new car since I am driving. I know it's stupid but for some unexplained reason the tires and wiper blades that come on a new car last the longest. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  10. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Dear Boo:clap2: and Everyone Else:grouphug: that Was Able to Help With Great Information,

Thank you ALL very much...Boo, Thank You:):yo: for responding with educational tips that I could act on this morning.

After calling around to several tire distributors/retailers, and a nearby dealership, Discount Tire in Katy had the best values and matched any other offer I could find against their already lower prices.

Spoke with a fella named Arthur who is the Assistant Manager and he spoke with me "very patiently" about each tire you suggested Boo, and helped me understand the differences between the different tires. Selected the size you suggested in the Goodyear Triple Tread.

I drove out of there this afternoon with a smile and a peaceful heart. :amen:Thank you all, and Boo, a SPECIAL THANK YOU :typing:and a Hug across the miles. What a great gift we have with everyone at Prius Chat. Boo, THANK YOU Again! I am super happy. With your:tea: help, I was able to make a great selection for my driving patterns and concerns, versus just buying a set of tires and "hoping" I did okay.

Blessings <3 Erin:cheer2: