1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'PriusChat Shop Forum' started by Lorgan, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Lorgan

Lorgan New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace my 12 volt auxilary battery. The dealer and my own mechanic quote me at $300-$400 dollars. On-line I have found the do-it-yourself battery and kit for $130 to $170. It all seems like a lot of money for a battery. Any suggestions for less expensive yet good replacements?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that the OEM battery retails for around $138, and online Toyota OEM parts sites sell it for less than that (but they'll charge you shipping).

Here's one place that purports to sell the OEM battery for $104 plus shipping:

DiscountToyotaParts

1 person likes this.
  3. Lorgan

Lorgan New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I'll try them.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, I'm puzzled by your dealer and mechanic's quote of $300 - $400 (presumably that includes installation).

But if the battery retails for $138, then they should be able to sell it to you for $138.

And unless I'm missing something, I would think that labor would not exceed $50.

So it seems to me that the total cost of a new OEM battery should be around $188 installed.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You'd get more replies if you posted this in the general Prius or Mechanical forum. This forum is for questions about the web site itself, and far fewer people are likely to see your question here.