1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace a part - please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Aug 23, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I did something really clumsy and ripped a portion of this plastic flap thingie under the car. There's no other damage/scratch anywhere else. I don't know what the part is called but here's a description of it:

* It's at the bottom of the car, in the front, between the two front wheels. You see it when you stand in front of the front licence plate and then stick your head under the car while looking up
    * It's wide but short - maybe 4' wide, and 1' in length. It seems to be held by five screws near the front bumper of the car
    * It's basically this thin rubbery/plastic flap that seems to be there just to keep the car's underside clean.

So this flap thing ripped around one of the five screws that hold the flap securely. It was one of the edge screws, so it's causing the flap to sag and scratch against the road when you drive. Right now, I just have it temporailry secured using duct tape and twine.

My questions are:
    1) what is this plstic flap thingie called?
    2) How much do you think it will be to get it fixed at the dealership? I want to be prepared with the general price range so I'll know if I'm getting ripped off
    3) Can I just order this part online somewhere and fix it myself (how difficult can it be to screw five bolts :p)? If so, can you recommend a good online store? I did look up some online stores that sell prius parts (and had to go through all the item pictures since I don't know what it's called) but I haven't had success finding it.

Thanks for your help!

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First I'd safetly lift the car and see if it is an item you have the ability to replace.

If you can I'd go to your dealer and just ask for the part. Describe it, even show it to them. They have a part list by location. A little exploded Prius that they can find it visually. If it is cheap just buy it, otherwise remember what it is or write the part number down if you can.

www.metrotpn.com is an online store that will give you a good price.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Aug 23 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]308107[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed mine was hanging yesterday. I'm interested in your findings, so keep us posted.

Oh, and I think "plastic flap thingie" is actually the technical term (PFT for short). I hope we don't have the dreaded PFT failure! ;)

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds similar to a plastic flap someone else was talking about on here the other day. I *think* the consensus was it was simply there to help improve the aerodynamics of the car, but i'm not sure, and can't even be positive its the same part. I believe they replaced it once, but it kept coming off due to low clearance and slanted driveways, etc. and they decided to just leave it off.

By all means, pay for a new one if it's cheep... but find out the part number, name, price, and if it's really needed for all of us here.

Oh, and maybe post pictures if you can?