1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace ABS Module - Flashing hazard lights of death

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Eug, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I have a 2012 Plug-In (with the NAV and headlamp washers and all the fixins) in Canada. Recently I had a low speed (10-15 km/hr?) accident that took out the front headlight and that part of the front panel. That was repaired a while back but then weeks later I got the flashing hazard lights. My body shop doesn't think it has anything to do with the accident, so I took it back to my regular local mechanic who diagnosed it to the be the ABS module and who also doesn't think it has anything to do with the accident.

The ABS module is not providing signal, and when he disconnects it, the flashing hazards turn off. He says this is the part:

image0000001.jpg

Unfortunately, he says Toyota Canada wants CA$5400 new for the part! So he called some wreckers and he says nobody has it. I did a brief internet search and came up with this one in the US:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~cylinder~assy~brake~47050-47210.html

Is this the right part? Is this online company legit? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

According to my door panel, the model of the car is ZVW35L-BHXEBK and I am located in Toronto.

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
  3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    (double post)

#3 Eug, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Is 47050-47210 the same part as 47210L for the 2012 Prius Plug-In ZVW35L?

If so, the retail price:

CA$5445 (Canada)
    US$699 (US)

After discount it's:

~CA$3600 (Canada)
    ~US$550 (US).

Those differences in both retail and street pricing are totally ridiculous.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you having the classic "hazards flash faster as car picks up speed"?

If so, maybe you can manage to sort of forget to reconnect the sky-blue wire at pin 10 there, and maybe you'll think that's good enough.

Nobody's really offered a convincing story for why the skid ECU needs that connection, anyway.

Eug and Potorap like this.
  6. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello EUG,

I had a 2013 PIP, needed to replace the exact part. I have shopped at several online Toyota parts websites . I have not had any issues. I did have to fight with the local Toyota dealership because they wanted to charge me $950 for the part. I wish you the best.

Eug likes this.
  7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Interesting.

I didn't notice the faster hazards with faster speed thing but then again I wasn't paying close attention to that specifically. All I know for sure is that the hazards would flash, and the mechanic says the ABS module is dead.

Which part number did you use? 47050-47210 vs 47210L. It was the latter number that was giving me trouble.

@ChapmanF,

According to your thread, it seems you had ordered the first number with success. Strange they wanted to charge you $950 for a $698 MSRP part. Only issue is that website you linked in your original thread says it may not fit my car and that it's for the 2013-2014. However, as I understand it, you had the 2012.

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Interesting.

I didn't notice the faster hazards with faster speed thing but then again I wasn't paying close attention to that specifically. All I know for sure is that the hazards would flash, and the mechanic says the ABS module is dead.

Only issue is that part linked in that linked thread says it may not fit my car and that it's for the 2013-2014. OTOH, other sites online say it's for the 2012-2014.

Which part number did you use? 47050-47210 vs 47210L. It was the latter number that was giving me trouble.

Strange they wanted to charge you $950 for a $698 MSRP part.

#7 Eug, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Another double post - I seem to have significant issues posting to this forum today.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not just you. When the forum is slow to post, it's natural to get impatient and click the button again.

To avoid the extra posts, you can reopen the thread in another tab and see if your delayed post is already there, before getting impatient and clicking again.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Part number confirmed with my VIN number. I ordered from the US on eBay, brand new OEM part. Even after all taxes and shipping costs, etc., the price will be roughly 1/4 of the price of ordering through a Canadian dealer, even after discounted Canadian pricing. Ironically, I've been told that such an uncommon part from a Canadian dealer order would often be coming from a US warehouse anyway.

Interestingly though, someone elsewhere mentioned an ABS module rebuild service that exists locally. They have standard ABS module rebuild pricing for some cars like Camrys and Corollas, but not surprisingly they have no rebuild service for Priuses. Their site does indicate they can always try for other cars, but no guarantee that it would work.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you check Amayama?

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/prius-phv/3-hatchback-right-xw35-2012-3347/transmission-and-chassis-2/brake-master-cylinder-139

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/prius-phv/3-hatchback-right-xw35-2012-3347/transmission-and-chassis-2/brake-tube-clamp-145

I'm confused as to what part numbers you're ordering, and what it's costing, but maybe worth a look. I've found them very reliable, and so far for me with small orders only part cost plus shipping, no extra duty/taxes. They ship either from Japan or UAE. It can sometimes be beneficial to pick one of the pricier options, if it avoids shipping charges from both countries.

Eug likes this.
  13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks. I did come across that what I think is that site, but in US$. However, they didn't have the exact same part. They had something close, but even that similar part was still 2-3X as much as the US pricing. But like I said it wasn't the exact same part, so I couldn't order from there. (I wonder if it's an older version of the part, because it looks similar with similar numbering.)

14. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
  15. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Car has been fixed! The US part for 1/5th the price of the Canadian part was indeed the same right part. Why the heck is the Canadian pricing so high?