1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace Gas Water pump, not the HV, on 2007 Prius. How?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by verbal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. verbal

verbal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was trying to get my key FOB programmed (which failed miserably, unfortunately - Toyota unable to do it "Remote wont take programming, Internal problem in remote"), the service guy said that my gas water pump, not the HV, is leaking a bit of coolant and needs to be replaced. They estimated a replacement cost of $402.30.

1) Anyone ever done this before?
    2) What's the difficulty level of replacing it myself?
    3) What part # do I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did my wife's '06 late last year. Its not overly difficult if you have turned wrenches before. You really don't even need to get under the car. I recommend changing the serpentine belt, Thermostat and the Idler pulley as well. All of these parts can be purchased at rockauto.com for less than $100. You will also need a few gallons of SLLC coolant from Toyota or the Zerex Asian formula for half the price, which by my research is similar if not the exact same thing. Valvoline (Ashland) makes SLLC for Toyota and ZEREX Asian.

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have yet to see a failed Prius thermostat or belt idler pulley. I also doubt SLLC and ZEREX Asian are the same thing and see no point in not using SLLC. I would suggest you buy a $15 subscription to TIS and study the procedure and then decide if you feel comfortable doing it. You can download or print the info for use later on.

4. Mike Mc

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Verbal, What is your mileage ?

5. verbal

verbal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're at 70, 560

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good question. Seems he just missed the warranty.

7. Mike Mc

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, Just knockout the water-pump and Serpentine belt. I assumed you had higher mileage.

8. Mike Mc

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While I did change my stat. and idler pulley at more than double the mileage of the OP. I'm sure the stat was fine but I did not want my wife finding out on the side of the road somewhere that it wasn't. Then my father and father in law upon finding out would probably tell me: son I always told you to change the stat when you change the pump...yes sir! The pulley on the other hand had some wear to it and the bearing was just a tad grabby, it just didn't feel right, I consider that failed. It can and does happen but i'm sure that based on the OP's current mileage he was fine. The biggest surprise to me was the size of the water pump, man that thing is tiny.