1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to shift to neutral - Can ICE be started safely with hybrid battery out of car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by app-o-matix, Jul 9, 2022.

1. app-o-matix

app-o-matix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Title says it all for the most part. Have the hybrid/traction battery out and need to shift into neutral move car back into the garage. Don't have a floor jack or wheel dollies. 12V battery is fine. Just not sure if starting the ICE with the hybrid battery out is possible and, if so, if it will do any harm.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Hybrid pack starts the engine, so you won't be able to do that...

Some guy on here recently had whole car shut down when he did that because he forgot to roll the windows up, but suspect that was a glitch/problem with his 12v.

When car's computers sense lots of problems like a missing pack it will throw the warning lights and likely not shift from neutral, or will only shift from Park to neutral. I've experienced this more than once when I forgot to make one of near a hundred connections on a battery pack rebuild. So suspect that's the same thing you will experience. Please follow up on this post after you've tried it so we can be certain. A quick search engine look for related PriusChat posts didn't turn up anything.

app-o-matix likes this.
  3. app-o-matix

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I found some related threads, bit I didn’t see any with a definitive answer. Hesitant to try it. Hoping someone knows.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Soon as I get this pack I have to build finished, I'll give it a try with everything unplugged and report back to you. Might take a couple days. And if you decide to go for it before I do, let me know?

app-o-matix likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How definitive an answer are you waiting for? The hybrid battery is what starts the ICE, so with the hybrid battery out of the car, any starting of the ICE simply isn't going to happen. :)

In any case, the ICE would never even try to start except in READY mode, and you don't need to go to READY mode to shift to neutral. ON mode (second button push, without touching brake pedal) is enough. ON mode uses only the car's 12 volt system.

Car is likely to log some codes of the "dude, where's my battery ECU?" variety. Can clear those after putting stuff back together, if they don't go away on their own.

app-o-matix and PriusCamper like this.
  6. app-o-matix

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I chickened out and put the traction battery back in. And please, only do it with your Prius if you feel it won’t risk doing any harm. I appreciate your interest in getting a definitive answer.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF told us enough details to be confirm it's not going to be an issue if you just need to get into neutral...

8. app-o-matix

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is ultimately what I was wondering, if you can shift into neutral just being in ON mode with the ICE not running. Other threads with people wanting to get into neutral almost invariably had a dead 12V, which isn’t an issue here. So, none of the potential answers in those threads addressed what you can do with a functioning 12V battery, which would include that you that you can shift into neutral in ON mode.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When my inverter died, we obviously could not go to Ready. The car was at a restaurant parked head first. The tow truck driver was about to chain up and drag the car out of the spot. We went to On mode and shifted to neutral. The car rolled out.

app-o-matix likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are known 'chicken dances' published in the repair manual, like entering maintenance mode, that involve shifting to neutral in ON mode, so the cat's pretty much out of the bag.

11. app-o-matix

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you do for a replacement inverter? Toyota? Ebay?

12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota new

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Stealerships rip people off replacing inverters that have nothing wrong with them because the error codes for hybrid battery issues sometimes show up as inverter error codes. We get a couple people a year who get ripped off this way. Once they drain your bank account for the inverter the warning lights come back and then they say it's the hybrid battery and try to drain your bank account again.