1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to vent - frustrated at prius seller

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fossilfuel, Jun 11, 2008.

1. fossilfuel

fossilfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have owned my 06 loaded prius w/stickers for 2 years. I convinced my mother to get one too.

Found the perfect one on the internet w/stickers, called the guy, and told him i would be there tomorrow to buy it with money in hand. Told him not to sell to anyone else or let me know if he gets other offers. He agreed, was happy it took so fast and happy i was making it easy. We were both family men, talking about our kids, etc.

Of course, 1 hour before we meet, he tells me not to come to his house because he has an aggressive buyer who is willing to pay more. "Wait a second, I am first, we are committed, give me a chance at least to counter offer". Something didnt seem right here. I am now in shock...extremes high to lows. He wouldnt give me a chance and told me not to come by. I gave him a little guilt trip (subtle) letting him know how easy we'd make this, money in hand, we took 1/2 days off, we didnt commit to other priuses (that are now sold), etc. He felt bad but said he'd call me if it fell through with the new person.

well, 6 hours later, he called saying it was sold and apologizing (which was nice). But what just happened? What happened to this guys intergrity/character/trust/honesty....i couldnt have been more clear. I am kicking myself for trusting him and not going over first thing in the morning to buy it.

I have too high expectations for people, mostly prius drivers. I feel so let-down, so confused.....i cant believe this just happened. What happened to our prius demographic...its becoming too mainstream, to capitalistic/selfish

I know how competitive this prius market is now, but come one, at least honor your word and/or give me priority to give the final offer since I was the first to call.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope the person that bought this prius reads this...she knew I was the other buyer and she just kept pushing this guy to sell it to her..

I have lost all faith in humanity....:mad::(

Hopefully Karma gets him

Jason

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd bet he sold it to family or a friend - otherwise, there would be no reason I could think of for him not to let you in on a bidding war . . . unless you started talking politics or favorite sports teams with him. ;)

3. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    More money wins, hands down.

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately in a tight market you should have gone out that night and given him a deposit, then he would have been obligated to hold the car.

Granted, you might think that his gentleman's agreement over the phone was enough but my father told me the best axiom when dealing with used car sales. He said that he would sell any car he was selling to the first buyer with cash in hand. (he buys and fixes up a lot of cars kind of for a hobby and a little extra cash)

Look at it from his perspective (and this has happened to me when selling cars MANY times, well several anyway) a lot of people say they are going to buy a car over the phone and that they will be over the next day, but many do not actually show up.

So my advice, have 5 hundy on hand and when you find that perfect car tell them you'll be there in an hour. (and hope someone doesn't show up with cash in that hour!)

5. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like you got the shaft on that deal. I had a car dealer change the price by $2k just 3 weeks ago. We drove 3 hours with his promise and email printed out with the price he quoted. Didn't matter. He tried to rip us and we drove off. I told him it was at least a nice day for a drive. I figured someone else wanted to pay the full mark up for a black package #6 with sunroof and heated seats, lumbar too. No class! There seems to be little honor left when it comes to money.

6. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Kinda sucks. Sorry to hear this. If you have a verbal agreement I think he should have given you a reasonable time to pick up the vehicle. It sounds like you had a time agreed on and he should have kept it. Yeah, money talks... but.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    . . . more money, family, friendship, or revenge talks louder. ;)

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Point certainly taken... unfortunately.

9. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :violin:While the other buyer is doing this.....:whoo:

You are more like this....:hurt:

Sorry 'bout your luck bro'!!!

10. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had this type of thing happen to me more than once. I think it is often money-motivated.

The last time it happened to me, I drove 150 miles to look at a vehicle. I was within a few miles of the place but had trouble finding it. I had called the people not 20 minutes ago letting them know we were almost there. I called again to tell them we were a bit lost, and they told me not to bother coming because they just sold it.

11. wwbjd

wwbjd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry about the deal.

But.. yes.. he with the most money wins (unfortunately).

I've talked to a couple of people in town who are flipping Prii and HCH's for small profits. I'm sure there's a reality show in there somewhere..

12. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the person didn't even give you a chance to counter, I'm prone to think that a friend of theirs found out they were selling it, and wanted it.

do not know what would have induced you to ever put any faith in humanity. Humanity has a terrible track record. lol

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel the OPs pain but I can understand the seller selling to the first person there with the money.
    Maybe next time send a deposit via paypal to lock in the deal then get the balance together for a face to face transaction. Maybe $100 up front would have sealed the deal? Who knows.

14. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mo' money vs. Integrity, Prize Fight

[Boxing announcer grabs center ring suspended microphone]
    "Let's Get Ready To Rumble"
    "Introducing first, wearing the dark trunks, the current reigning champion, fighting out of Hades itself, MoOO' MonEEYYYY!!"
    (thunderous applause)
    "and to my right, wearing the light trunks, the challenger, fighting from parts unknown, Innnn-tegrityyyyy!
    (a couple sporadic claps)

DING
    Round One
    "Okay, Men, keep it above the beltline and come out fighting"
    "Step back to your corners..."
    "...Let's fight"

Both men approach the center ring, Integrity starts his foot work, but Mo' Money jumps, as if from a cannon, jabbing, punching and wildly swinging a rain of punches down upon the challenger.

"Right jab to the nose, a left to the temple, followed by a right to the chin, another left, another right, an uppercut...!"

"The challenger is backing up slightly dazed, attempting to block head punches.."
    "The champion steps to the right to pummel the challengers body with swift continuous body blows."

"The challenger backs into the ropes as the champion continues to pummel, his knees are starting to weaken."
    The challenger is all defense at this point.

"A kidney shot and now a uppercut, an overhand right, a missing left, another missing left and a wild but connecting haymaker.

The challengers head swings back, his knees give out and he crashes to the floor, as the camera catches that dazed glaze in his eyes and you know the fat lady has just sang.

The referee steps in, pushes the champion back and kneels down to look the challenger in the eyes. Nobody home, it seems. With a horizontal wave of his hand, he stands back up and the crowd goes crazy!!

The ring doctor enters the challengers position, brings out his light, waves it in the challengers eyes, twice in each eye, no response, this guy is in shock.

The announcer grabs the descending mike,
    "Forty five seconds into the first round, By way of a knock out, the still reigning and undefeated champion, Moooo' Monnnnneeyyyyy!!"
    (terrific cheering)

Heard off-mike, the announcer says "Integrity, he didn't stand a chance against Mo' Money."

ZC1

15. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Money certainly talks....but for private used car sales, nothing's commited until the minute the seller has signed over the Title.

Don't feel sour about losing this deal, along came a better (Used) Prius later......Cash is still king in used car shopping.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this happens a lot in the world of craigslist. is that where you found it?

let me tell you how many times we waited for days to hear back from someone who swore up and down they'd meet us at x time to pick up the car/part/item. all the hours wasted, the driving, the irritation.

when it comes to selling things on your own on the internet, first person with cash wins.

BUT he should have given you a shot to match the buying price. maybe he was ashamed at how high the other offer was.

17. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hate this happened to you but...
    When a private party is selling a car it is always first come,first served.
    That is the way it has been for years.
    If I am seriously looking for a car I do not wait around,
    I get there ASAP.

18. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry about that, I don't think that was very fair at all what he did, I am kind of old fashioned and go by a persons word but I guess in this day and age, that is not good enough anymore, what a shame. If people are going to act like this, they should not even promise or make appts. at all with prospective buyers. They should simply put their ad on Craigslist and say that they are NOT taking phone calls or emails, but the car will be available at a said day and time and the first person with cash that comes gets first dibs on the car, period..... none of this promising someone and giving your word, if they can't hold themselves to that kind of common decency then they should not make appointments with people, just open it up to first come first served kind of like an auction.

It is a real shame that you can no longer trust someone's word anymore.. I bet a family member wanted the car..

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sellers get burned all the time too, when they hold an item for "serious" buyers claiming they have cash in hand but who end up being no-shows, or need to time to raise the cash, or want to negotiate/barter, or aren't really ready to buy. Think about it, you're asking the seller to pass up a sure sale for the chance that someone they don't know will actually show up and complete the transaction.

I don't blame the seller for what they did, though they probably should have warned you that it was subject to prior sale if someone arrived with cash in hand before you.

20. LOVL1TE

LOVL1TE New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Captain Fantastic-Nice Avitar:)