1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need toyota service or just go to midas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikeysaid, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased a certified '04 back in January and took it in for its first service to a local Toyota dealer... Got the phone call back after the 5,000 mile (yellow) service and they said the following:

rear shock absorber(s) leaking, quoted 660 plus 80 for alignment for shock absorber replacement

suggested "fuel service" because the top carburetor is getting dirty and its passing it along to the injectors (something like that?)

that and the transaxle fluid is coming due.

not surprised about the transaxle fluid, how much should that cost?

does this stuff absolutely need to be done by toyota service? what can/should I do myself?

what should I just have done by a local garage?

I called Haskell Automotive in Glendale (got their info from PC) and they quoted between 199 and 250 for transaxle fluid service.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    For the tranny, Toyota type WS ATF ONLY for the Prius transmission. It CANNOT be flushed, only drained and refilled. My dealer charged me $100 for the job. It should be done every 60,000 miles.

My local mechanic quoted $750 for all four struts (KYB makes them) so your dealer is quoting a high price.

It is common to need to clean out the "throat", but this is an easy job as well. The injectors seldom need cleaning.

JeffD

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Find Galaxee's "what you need..." sticky. Be careful if you have the throttle body cleaned. If Gomer screws it up it'll cost you a cat.

Your Prius must be extra-special as this is the first mention of it having a carb.

I'm not sure your dealer is qualified to even wash & wax the car.

It has been posted here that the Toyota scan tool is needed for a complete alignment.

4. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I asked the service manager when I got back to the dealer what the heck he was talking about with the Carb and he said "it's just easier to say carbureator then explain what a throttle body is for people who aren't familiar with their car, sorry about that".

He seemed pretty on top of things and didn't push me to do anything, actually recommended that I look at getting the shock absorbers done elsewhere and make sure they have a toyota scan tool for alignment if I get new tires or do any suspension work. He also suggested that any fuel related work only be done by prius trained techs.

All in all I was pleased with their level of service but don't know that I want to pay 61 dollars for a 5,000 mile service again.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get the shocks replaced at Midas and leave it at that. The rear alignment of the Prius is not adjustable.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Few, if any, Toyota dealers will shim the rear hub carriers (which is the only way to align the rear beam axel) - their usual solution is to replace the beam! Most alignment shops aren't able to do it either. The "shim kits" sold by some are nothing more than thin aluminum sheet ("coke cans") which do the job but are not generally available.