1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need your feedback on a hobby project?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dadecounty, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Dadecounty

Dadecounty New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

I am currently developing a Facebook app that will allow users to build and share personal car history on FB. Users will be able to build their car history timelines (cars they own, used to own – like many of us do in forum message signatures), share their car experiences, stories and memories with friends and other users (e. g. how they purchased, landed on a certain model etc.), upload pictures/videos, search and comment on other members’ cars. I have had this idea for a while and finally decided to build it as a hobby project.

The main question I have right now - what do you guys think about such an app? Would you, car enthusiasts, personally use it?

How likely is it that you will share publicly within the application the cars you own, have owned with you friends and other app users (like your career path on LinkedIn, for instance)?

You feedback is highly appreciated and would help me to shape the idea better.

Thanks in advance! I would really appreciate your input!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use Facebook, but I don't use any of the applications. They tend to be intrusive and present security risks. Your app may be good, but it will get tarred with this same brush.

Tom

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't use Facebook. Best of luck with your app, though.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use Facebook, too, but such an app holds no interest to me, personally, because I'm not really a car enthusiast (I just joined this board to ask a couple of questions when I first got my Prius, and I forgot to stop coming back). However, I could see where some folks would be interested.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take about five minutes and think about.....Angry Birds.

Good Luck with your ap.

FWIW, I'm not exactly a FB junkee, in fact I very rarely go to that site.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That could work: Angry SUV, where you get to fling Hummers at a stack of Prius.

Tom

3 people like this.
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, gas is $15 a gallon, and you have to negotiate your way through the rusting hulks on your bicycle...

1 person likes this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually loled! Nice.

As for the OP: I don't use FaceBook, never used MySpace, and don't have a Twitter. Or as Craig would say, the FaceSpace and Tweety Bird on the Googly Webs. I don't see the appeal. But then again simple minded people like simple minded things so good for them.

As to the idea in general, it sounds like CarDomain. Upload the car you have, a story, some pictures, and other stuff like that. People can comment on your car, and the site is searchable by make/model/style/colour whatever. They also do awards where people can vote up or down certain cars and some get awarded every month for having the best whatever that month.

How do you envision people using this?

To me I see it as meh. Why should I care what somebody who I don't even know bought before? Maybe a curiosity at most if they have the same car as I do, to see what they came from. But I don't really care if they bought it because they liked the colour or because their old car broke and they needed a new one. I would only be interested if they have an interesting car, or are an interesting person.

For instance, I would be curious to see what Neil deGrasse Tyson drives and why. But I doubt he would be bother to post it. I would also be curious to see what other people that have some of my unique cars also have, but there are entire forums dedicated to these individual cars so I could just go there.

I guess I just don't get it.

9. Dadecounty

Dadecounty New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your feedback, guys! Is anyone else willing to share his/her feedback?

10. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. I don't mind sharing my experience online (heck, I do it here on PC), but I avoid FB apps.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use Facebook, almost exclusively through my iPhone. I think I once posted a link to my Fuelly page, but I doubt I'd use a Facebook car app. However, I'm not a car nut. Right before & after buying my Prius, I was a regular here, and now that I've decided to replace it with a Plug-in Prius, I've been here obsessively.

The reason I use PriusChat and Facebook daily is that they both have iPhone apps. In fact, I think the main reason I stopped using PriusChat for a long time was that the pages stopped formatting properly on the iPhone. I finally bought Tapatalk, and now I'm a daily visitor.

I don't know if that info's useful to you, but there it is...