1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needed to get a jump!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amaranita, Jul 21, 2007.

1. amaranita

amaranita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I drove my car to the beach today, and when I went to go home it was totally DEAD. I called my husband to come with his smartkey, just in case that was the problem. It wasn't. He called the dealer, and was told to get it jumped - and so we did. Anyone have any idea what could have drained my battery? Anyone ever have this problem? BTW, What position do you keep your light switch on so that you have your daylight running lights on? Thanks, Amaranita

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Welcome Amaranita,

Most likely something drained the 12 volt battery. Could be many things - door or hatch not closed (you get a long beep when you try to lock it instead of a short one), lights left on (opened the driver's door before powering off the car), left courtesy light in on position (don't notice it during the day), somehow went into accessory or ignition-on mode instead of off (that's how I did it). But it should be fine after charging up again unless you do it repeatedly. One thing I learned is that there are NO daytime running lights on the US model Prius (thought there were until I read the owners' manual thoroughly, which I highly recommend). I'm sure there are other ways which more knowledgeable posters will add. At least you didn't leave it running (my DH did that with his 03 Prius once - with the "real" key in the ignition in Boston. Didn't realize it until he reached for his keys to unlock it to go home and could't find them! This car is so quiet and unique that unique things happen. I find this is most likely to happen when I am in a hurry or get distracted. I am more careful to listen for the characteristic short beep of the lock, and glance back at my car to make sure the lights are off now. I ended up laughing at myself in the end that I actually killed the battery.