1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needing Advice: Navigation Unit Screen went black!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 1stTimeToyotaBuyer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. 1stTimeToyotaBuyer

1stTimeToyotaBuyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie here! I love my 2012 Prius V wagon.
    Gas mileage is superb! Comfort and space is awesome!
    My only downside? My Navigation Unit.
    Its been replaced once already, but now I may need it replaced again!!
    (The 1st time it was replaced was due to the Entune software not accepting an upgrade... 9 months after purchase. The "extended warranty" covered it THEN. But guess what? Back then, the dealership did not follow warranty protocol and now I have a model number that is "not covered"????? What a predicament)

Well, here is what's going on NOW:
    In January I had it "detailed" inside, at a local business. Afterwards, the screen "flickered" and went "gray" as I drove away from the shop. Why, you could even see a "water stain" slowly moving across the screen and then "water spots" within the hour! So now the screen is completely dark. Unfortunately, the back-up camera no longer works.
    ( the xm radio touchscreen controls, oddly enough, still work!! BUT, you must touch the screen and change channels from memory since you can't see the icons on the screen!)

Note: I mentioned before, I had purchased the extended warranty to include the navigation unit.
    I have been told, however, that "water damage" is not covered under the warranty as it is not a "manufacturer defect". I have mulled this over for the last 3 weeks. The detailing shop is already on the defensive and has no idea how to fix this problem, despite the fact that they most likely have ruined my navigation unit. Besides...if there was any hope that the actual problem is NOT water damage and the warranty did still apply, he would void the warranty by messing with it anyway.

So my next move is to do the following:
    1. Choose the Toyota DEALERSHIP (and NOT the detail/repair shop )
    2. Request they REMOVE the navigation unit and INSPECT it carefully and DETERMINE the official cause of the problem.

If this unit DOES have water damage, the replacement cost for a new OEM Navigation Unit per the dealership is estimated to be $4,400 since the "core" would be no good due to water damage.
    I refuse to pay that much money for a unit that won't be under additional warranty.

I could seek out a used one.
    I could check into a "after market" unit, but how would it affect my backup camera?

Any advice out there?

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would replace it with a salvage yard unit and hand the detailer the bill.
    Its less than an hour labor to remove and install.
    www.car-parts.com is an excellent source for these units.
    Check the model number in the lower right corner (its the model # they use on car-parts)
    If its 57010 I have one out of a 2012 that I can let go for $150 plus shipping from tropical buffalo NY

PriFi and CanuckPT like this.
  3. 1stTimeToyotaBuyer

1stTimeToyotaBuyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks IMKenNY, I'm having the unit removed on Friday. Will obtain the model number off the unit then. Thanks for the car parts link.....Thanks for your offer as well. Will be in touch.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The detailer should pay for the repair/replacement of your display unit. Any proper business should be bonded and insured for damage.

SCH-I535

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    once you noticed the water behind the screen..I would have gone right back to the detailer. Do a U turn and go in and ask Wth....

hind sight of course is always 20/20 :)

Not sure how toyota can say the problem is not covered since they don't have any idea that there was any damage.

I would take it back to the first dealer that replaced your broken unit and tell them that this replacement is not working. Its still on their dime...not your fault that they did not follow proper warranty repalcement procedures... Yes this is shady...Are the water spots obvious now?

If the water spots are obvious then you can't do this and you are stuck going after the detailer.

Get a lawyer friend to pen a letter on their letterhead...asking for the shop to replace the screen since it was damaged while it was in their care/custody as a result of their work. If they refuse, then all you got is small claims...

The sticky wicket I see is the fact that you did not return directly to the detailer when you saw the water behind the screen such that the detailer could also see the water behind the screen and be able to "man up" then.

6. Cookie615

Cookie615 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a similar problem, but slightly different cause. A few days ago I opened a soda in the car, and it sprayed - not a lot. The next thing I knew the navigation unit was flickering, and eventually it went gray. I have the same experience as the previous writer, in that the CD commands work on the touch screen, if you remember where the buttons were! I did not see any water droplets on the screen. It's almost unbelieveable to me that the soda caused the damage. Shouldn't the unit be sealed to protect it from such occurrences? Is there any hope of repairing this?