1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needs advice - regarding use of Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant for brake job

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Garry20-20, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Hi guys,

I am about to do brake job on my prius v 2016. I was looking for the silicone lubricant for the lubricating brake parts, including caliper pins.

I could not find clear silicone paste but I found "Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant" by Permatex. I contains silicone with ceramic solids. It claims that it is safe for rubber etc.

Product link:-
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-orange-silicone-ceramic-brake-lubricant-28-g-0381412p.html

But I read different reviews about the product where people claimed that it swelled the rubber part on the sliding pins on caliper.

Has anyone had any kind of such experience??

Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do not know whether any silicone product actually does or does not swell or otherwise adversely affect the elastomers in Toyota's brakes. There are lots of people here who do report using silicone products and not having issues.

I do know, however, that Toyota repeatedly and explicitly recommends a glycol, not silicone, grease for all the places in Toyota brakes where it will touch their elastomers, and various threads here that have covered that before have included Toyota communications explicitly confirming that that's correct and they have not recommended silicone for that application. (To my knowledge, we've never seen a post from a Toyota engineer saying "... and here's why we recommend as we do".)

08887-01206 is the part number of the glycol grease, lithium thickened, that Toyota does recommend for the application. If you buy their brake-rebuild rubber kits, there is no need to buy a tube of the stuff separately, because they include little packets of it in the kits.

They do recommend silicones to apply in certain other positions in the brakes. There are existing threads here that include illustrations showing which grease goes where. At the moment I am too lazy to try to find one of those again.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Besides the Toyota branded grease as given this might work:

4. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Thanks Jzchen for your kind reply.

You are right that if might work but my concern is regarding the swelling of rubber seal which is present at the other end of sliding pin ( that gets inserted in the caliper).

Thanks though.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The grease that jzchen linked to on Amazon is at least the right kind of grease: a glycol base with a lithium thickener, as specified by Toyota, and not a silicone.

Of course we don't know whether that makes it exactly equivalent to Toyota's specified grease.

If you are particularly concerned about a grease having adverse effects on the rubber parts in contact with the slide pin, using the exact specified Toyota grease is what will save you the effort of trying to second-guess their engineers.

[​IMG]

jzchen likes this.
  6. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Hi Guys,

Thank you everyone for your kind advice regarding the do's and don'ts while doing brake work on my Prius v 2016. Every member of this awesome community is very special.
    I also thank "Nutz & Boltz" for his videos that guide me during my first brake work.

I will quickly write the important steps/ observations that I took/noticed before and during this work:-

1 I disconnect my 12v battery in the beginning to avoid any issues with the brake actuator/ breaking system. (after brake work and reconnecting my 12v battery, I lost my radio setting and trip reading, both trip A and trip B. There was no affect on the window's roll up or roll down automation process.)

2 I called my Toyota dealer to ask regarding the type of OEM brake pads in my car and he told me its Semi-metallic. I noticed that when I put brakes, the sound make by the brakes was loud. So, I decided to go with the ceramic ones. Here is the picture where you can see the difference between the ceramic and semi-metallic pads shine. P_20210404_152735.jpg P_20210404_152735.jpg P_20210404_180227.jpg

3 Also, I bought the piston tool for my rear brakes but I found that its piston is simple as in the front brakes, so I did not use it. I am posting the picture of rear piston:-
    P_20210404_174138.jpg P_20210404_174138.jpg

4 In the front brakes, the upper caliper pins has no rubber (on both front brakes). Only the lower caliper pins and the all the rear caliper pins have rubber in the front end.
    P_20210404_174129.jpg

These are some of the findings during my brake job.

I used following lubricants for the work:-
    Permatex copper anti-seize.jpg Raybestos silicone_.jpg

So, thank you guys. There is no squeaking etc. while braking. Now, braking is very quiet.

Thanks again.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably you'll be fine, but again for any future readers of the thread, it is only fair to make sure they know that Toyota only recommends a glycol grease, not a silicone, for the parts of the brakes where they have rubber parts. There was a picture of their recommended glycol grease in #5.

8. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury

Hi ChapmanF,

Thank you for your observation. Lets hope for the best.

Thanks again.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you quote his exact username proceeded by an “@“ he’ll get an alert. Also, after typing the first 3~4 letters of the name you’ll get a pop up showing matches; tap the appropriate one and it’ll auto-complete. Like this:

@NutzAboutBolts