1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Negotiating Price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JMO, May 25, 2005.

1. JMO

JMO New Member

I am new here at Prius Chat, and I am going to buy a Prius in the next week or so. I consider myself a fairly savvy car purchaser, I always go into a dealership knowing what invoice is, what other customers are generally paying, if the dealership has AAA or Costco pricing on the car, etc... I was reading postings on epinions recently and read that someone was able to get a package 6 from Santa Monica Toyota for $25,500. I also read on epinions someone else paying $26,500 for a package 6. I am going to call all the Toyota dealerships within a 90 mile radius or so of Los Angeles until I find someone willing to give me a similar price on a Tideland Pearl #6. Does anyone out there have any advice or similar experiences getting down from msrp. Thanks very much.

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    This oughta be good :)

Don't believe everything you read on epinions. A lot of folks claiming to pay under MSRP are actually paying under DSRP (D for Dealer). Meaning the dealer adds on some high profit "options" like 17" wheels, aftermarket leather, alarm systems, and scotchguard, but gives the buyer a "break" by not completely overcharging them for the stuff.

Good Luck. You could actually do well in California, but out east we still have mile-long wait lists.

Oh, and if the dealer cuts you a discount, post it here. Like they said in Ghostbusters, "We're ready to believe you." :)

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good luck.

You'll have a lot better chance if you're willling to take any color they have. Once you start getting picky about either color or package you'll have a hard time negotiating. They know if you don't buy the car, someone else will within a few days. Even in California.

#6 is what they have the most of and since it is the most expensive that's in your favor.

If you can't get below sticker, you might try to get them to add a perk like free oil changes or something.

4. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JMO\";p=\"92631)</div>
    $26K - $26.5K shouldn't be too hard to get. $25.5K would be a good deal if you can get it.

It's still a seller's market for Prius - demand may be waining a bit in a few parts of the country, but with people standing in line waiting to buy them as they come of the truck, salesmen have little reason to offer the car at less than sticker.

5. majordude

majordude Member

I got my Prius earlier this month and paid $500 lower than MSRP by going through the Internet and using Norwalk Toyota.

I found three other dealers willing to go even at MSRP.

Power Toyota of Cerritos was $3,000 OVER MSRP.

I'd be shocked if you could get $1,000 below MSRP or maybe even $500 off at this stage of the game. There are waiting lists all over town. The blue and red being the hardest to get.

6. Woody

Woody New Member

I got $500 under MSRP on a package 2 in Virginia. No other dealer markups. There was a $200 doc fee, so really $300 under MSRP, but that was it.

7. majordude

majordude Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Woody\";p=\"92768)</div>
    That's pretty good. Out here in SoCal, it appears to me that the PKG# 6 cars are all the rage (you gotta see which highway you are stuck in traffic on!). $500 off a PKG# 2 sounds pretty good!

BTW, where are you in VA? I went to VCU and grew up in Great Falls.

8. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call Paul Allary @ Oxnard Toyota. 800-229-6988.
    I found him very easy to work with and NO pressure.
    Got my #1 pkg less than Msrp, in 3 days, at end of March.
    If OC means Orange County it's a bit of a schlep.
    Carl

9. cc_prius

cc_prius New Member

Three weeks ago I paid a hair over $26K for Seaside Pearl with package 6/9 (which ever it is with the NavKit). I told the dealer the color/package I wanted, and they said one would arrive in 2 weeks, which it did. No leather, underbody protection, or anyother dealer crap. Here in the Bay Area I see quite a few new Prii rolling around, so perhaps the supply is up. Or everyone is buying in advance for the HOV lane access. :clap:

10. rocco

rocco Member

If it helps your negotiating any let me tell you that I walked in seconds after a guy "stormed out" after trying negotiate a better price for his trade-in - I don't know if he was doing it for "show" or if he was planning to come back for his waitlisted black #5 beauty - but it didn't matter SINCE

Its MINE NOW :) or should it be :(

11. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i too got $500 off msrp. just tell the dealer that you spoke to 'so-and-so' at abc toyota and they offered $500 off msrp on the prius. i'll buy it from you if you can do better.

works like a charm

12. Garsen

Garsen New Member

i bought mine from toyota santa monica in april and they charged me MSRP--were very inflexible since the cars were literally flying out of the place at the time.

i did get them to match the maintenance and warranty deals listed here in prius chat, so i'd look into that if i were you. also, be careful when you deal with their accounting people at the end of the sale--they will try to sell you unneeded shit, get you to sign the agreement with the wrong warranty terms/mileage on it, and whatever other sleazy car dealer tactics are out there. stick to your guns. also, if your credit is good your APR should be around 5 or below.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

The biggest bargaining chip you have when negotiating, is the ability to walk out the door.

and it works.

14. Garsen

Garsen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid\";p=\"93126)</div>
    agree. i walked out of a few dealerships or before getting a referral to the santa monica people. by that point i was sick of being lied to and just wanted to get it done.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports' website has useful advice for buyers. I got mine after collecting bids and doing all the legwork by email, phone and fax.

Paying cash also helps. So does a willingness to wait.

16. Voltaire

Voltaire New Member

Rookie Post. I just bought a Salsa Red '05 Package 6 in Los Angeles for $500.00 under MSRP. This site was terrifically helpful to me as I dealt with various dealerships and the BS tactics they played.

I wanted a Prius by the end of the month. I called around and mostly the dealerships on the outskirts of LA had availability.

Phong and Kim Wong at Wondries Toyota were good to deal with. I showed up and they had #6 Black and Red. Within two hours the black was gone, so I went for the red.

Basically I didn't let the dealerships bully me or play me...they tried the mind games, convincing me how hard it is to get Prius', but I attempted to turn it on them because ultimately they want to sell the cars.

I told Toyota in Valencia the info. I found on this site, told them I had three other dealerships waiting for me to test drive...the best they would do was MSRP. I told Phong I'd buy but he'd have to go under MSRP, he did and I bought.

You don't have to wait in SoCal for a Prius and if you're willing to invest the phone calls and time travelling to the dealerships, you'll find what you want.

17. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in the Dallas area, the market for Prii is very hot right now. The dealer I went to for a test drive stuck on a ridiculous "market demand fee" of $4000. I wasn't ready to buy that day anyhow, but they kept asking me the classic question, "what can I do to get you to buy this car today?" My incredulous response was, "Howabout not asking $4000 ABOVE MSRP???"

Also, the salesman kept mentioning how Prii were selling for $8000 over MSRP on ebay. I should have told him, "Well, whoever paid that much for it is a fool, and besides, this ain't ebay."

I eventually left, and the very next day I got a call from the dealership asking if the sales staff treated me ok. I was in a good mood, so I just said that I wasn't ready to buy just yet and would call them when I was ready.

I guess my point is don't let the dealer tell you how much the car is in demand to justify charging you over MSRP for it. I really think that I could have bargained the dealer down to MSRP or under had I been ready to buy that day.

18. myride

myride Junior Member

:D If you really want it at sticker cost with no addons than bite the bullet and order it. pay the 500 down and wait for it. the dealer hated that. they cant add on a thing till you tell them you want it and toyota will not allow them to jack up the price if its ordered. what ever you do decide to do ... good luck

19. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have put down $500 non refundable on 4/30/05. If my dealer raises the $ too much and I say no, will the dealer find the next customer and I will loss my $500.00? pls help.

20. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just thought I would post here that I was told by a toyota dealer that it is illegal to sell a car above MSRP. I live at Long Island , NY paid $23,967 for silver 05 pkg#5 . I don't know if this is a state law... I also got the impression that the dealer\salesman wasn't real happy about selling me the prius even though I didn't hassel him for a lower price. Does anyone know if the commision is the same for them on the prius Vs. other models.
    It took 6 weeks for him to find it . Very happy with the car 45 MPG around town with AC on.