1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nervous about coolant change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mengoni, Jan 29, 2019.

1. mengoni

mengoni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My last car has a major coolant issue and now I'm gun shy.
    I performed a coolant change on both the ICE and the inverter this past weekend.
    I did it according to the nuts about bolts videos and had no problems. (That panel removal and reinstall was the hardest part)
    I didn't see any bubbling in the ICE reservoir though. I ran it for 20 minutes in maintenance mode and didn't see anything. The fan was running. MPG's dropped to 26.3
    I've driven almost 70 miles since,50 of those delivering pizza and the levels are the same as when I put the caps back on.
    My question is, If there was air in the system I would have known by now, right? I've never done a coolant change before and I'm worried I may have messed up somewhere.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The heat is warm and coolant level is stable?

If so, you’re good(y).

Mendel Leisk and m.wynn like this.
  3. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mengoni, I would concur with Ray. If your heater works and levels are stable you are good. I have changed the coolant on both loops of mine 2X with no special bleeding or anything.
    Just a suggestion in the future. When I change fluids I capture what came out and match it against what goes back in. On the prius with drains that actually work and allow capture into a drain pan or container it makes it easy.
    Many of the new transmissions out there don't have dipsticks so assuming the vehicle did not have a leak, putting back in what comes out works in my book. In the case of the 3rd Gen prius anyway I feel like its very easy to change fluids.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @mengoni just curious: did you drain the engine block? There's a spigot 'round back of the engine, kinda hard to get to. Maybe best is from below: you can actually see it, if you remove the underpanel next in line behind the main engine underpanel. This affords you a view of the engine block drain, and easiest access. For next time.

On the other hand, a few members here have reported getting next to nothing drained when doing this, so just wondering.

Also, you can get some out of the exhaust coolant heater if you pull off one of it's hoses, someone mentioned here.