1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nervous about removing door panels/wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by IndyDoug, Oct 27, 2005.

1. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I received my Infinity Kappa speakers today via UPS and I'm nervous about removing the door panels and wiring to install the speakers.

I will post an update this weekend.

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I bought a pry bar to remove the panels. Wasn't really needed. If you just pull at the grab point at the center bottom, it comes off. Just pull slow and once it is loose pull from the sides going up so the two halves don't come apart.

Get the two screws out first of course. And for the fronts I pulled loose the tweeter boxes first so door panel once loose could just slide up and off.

I've had other door panels break when I tried to remove them but these didn't. When a plastic pin was really tight the door pulled off around it without anything breaking. Then the pry bar was useful to get the pin out of the door.

3. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

nothing to fear, just go slow and pull firmly to release plastic retainer clips at the lower portion of the panel. Nothing should break. A great tool for removing interior without chiping/scratching: go to a windshield glass company and buy one of thier install tools. It will be a wide plastic spoon they use to get under the window trim to pop it up. It is the bee's knees for interior removal. Toyota has a tool PN# 00002-06001-01 for about $13.00, but the glas shop gave me one for free. I have several of each.
    Regards, Mike

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

You do want to make sure to be careful around the seam between the two purple or brown plastic and the gray or taupe plastic. Make sure you aren't levering the panels in a way that puts stress on that seam because it is the weakest part of the door in my experience. Just reach your hand behind the plastic as close as possible to the clips you are removing to avoid flexing the plastic any more than necessary.

5. datavortex

datavortex New Member

When you mount those crossovers that come with the Kappas, make sure you put it in a spot where the door panel will fit back on. I had to play with mine a little to get it right (near the handle)