1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neutral Downhill Safe?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gpb5200, Mar 7, 2007.

1. gpb5200

gpb5200 New Member

My commute to/from work involves a few hills, between 3/10 & 1 mile in length. Is it safe to put the Prius in neutral and glide down them since the speed of the road basically will not allow glide mode by lightly pressing the gas? I noticed that the downhills are not really steep enough to coast down while regenerating without losing too much speed, and particularly in the cold weather, pressing on the gas harder also usually engages the ICE as well.
    Thanks for advice.

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gpb5200 @ Mar 7 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]401794[/snapback]</div>
    You don't need to put it into neutral, you can do the same thing by slightly depressing the accel pedal until you see no arrows in either direction.

Dave

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gpb5200 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]401794[/snapback]</div>
    I would suggest NOT using neutral. The ICE will continue to run (and burn gas I'm pretty certain). I can tell you that even though a true 'no arrows' glide is, indeed, very difficult to achieve it isn't really necessary to do so. If you use your same technique that you use to get into a glide just after your green arrows disappear and the yellow arrow from battery to wheels shows you're at around 12amp draw from the battery. Your fuel flow will be somewhere b/w 0 and 0.2 gal/hr...iow, very low.

Staying in this hyperstealth mode rather than neutral will allow you to more easily feather off speed as needed by simply lifting your foot to allow the gentle regen coast to get a little speed off and your transition back to normal drive mode will also be easier.

While using neutral shouldn't cause damage to the car I don't think it's the safest nor the most efficient technique to achieve what you desire.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 7 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]401803[/snapback]</div>
    Why? When you start going downhill the ICE turns off. If you then shift into neutral, why would it come back on?

5. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 7 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]401803[/snapback]</div>
    Not only that but when a vehicle is not in gear this is illegal in every state as the driver does not have full control of the vehicle.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Mar 7 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]401907[/snapback]</div>
    1)The ice does not turn off when going down hill unless your speed is less than 42mpg and in stealth.
    2)If the Ice is running when you go into neutral then it will keep running.

7. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Mar 7 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]401920[/snapback]</div>
    Prius doesn't have a traditional transmission. It's always in gear. Neutral, as I understand it, simply prevents the ICE recharging the traction battery.

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Mar 7 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]401920[/snapback]</div>
    And you got this info from where? I have never heard of this.

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Legal or illegal, there is no need to drop a Prius into neutral when you want to coast. Just back off the accelerator all the way, put your foot back on it until you feel the regenerative drag go away, and hold that position until you want to either speed up or slow down. It becomes second nature after some practice.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search the archives for all the prior rants about the legality/sense
    of using neutral under an outdated legislative structure.
    What's the general speed range of your downhill? If you can start
    it at less than 42 MPH and make sure the engine's off, and then
    pop into neutral, the engine will stay off even if you get *above*
    42 on the way down. That's a serious gas-saving state if you can
    do it; just be prepared to pop back into D if you have to slow down
    so you can at least get the regen.
    _H*

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 7 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]402006[/snapback]</div>
    I realize the ICE always turns over > 42MPH, but I thought if you were coasting at such a higher speed the engine turned over without burning fuel...? I remember reading that somewhere around here. If so, then engine turning or not (i.e. Drive vs Neutral) should have no impact whatsoever on his FE when coasting, except he will get 'free' regen when in D that would otherwise be sacrificed for nothing in Neutral... :huh:

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Mar 7 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]402042[/snapback]</div>
    That's true as far as it goes, there is a fuel cut-off...but the ICE continues to spin (non-neutral) due to MG1. However, if you go into neutral and take away the effect of MG1 fuel will have to be burned to keep the ICE spinning.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Mar 7 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]402006[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't "warp neutral" put you outside the design parameters of HSD? Isn't there some good reason that the engine always spins above 42mph except this special case? I just don't see how this can be a good idea.

15. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Mar 8 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]402126[/snapback]</div>

That 'infraction' sounds like it is for mountain driving. which would make sense, why would you want your car in neutral while going down a mountain?You need the engine to help brake other wise your brakes will overheat. I dont think this applies to GPB5200's situation.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 8 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]402172[/snapback]</div>
    "21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral."

The OP was asking about coasting in neutral while going down a hill. That sounds like a down grade to me.

17. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 8 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]402045[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that, as efusco said, the ICE continues to spin (non-neutral) with MG1 supplying the power to spin the ICE, with no fuel being burned but electricity coming from the battery. However, I thought, as hobbit stated, if you started below 42 mph in N and got above 42 mph by coasting, that the ICE would not spin, and therefore MG1 would be in some danger when D was reengaged or even in N. I know that there is some margin of safety for MG1, but it still seems that it could be possible to exceed that if you are coasting in N.

I never understood why you would want to be in N anyway on a downhill, since you lose the regenerating capability. I have thought about doing the N shifting when coming to a stoplight after braking to 8 mph to eliminate the "creeping" mode built into the transmission programming, but it still doesn't ever seem worth the effort.

The only time I use N is when I'm just starting out and I can delay the ICE from the initial cold-start for a few more seconds while I wait for traffic if necessary. And even that probably isn't worth it, since according to the experts it is better to stand still while the ICE does the warm-up. But in the situation I have there is another stop sign within a few feet to stand and wait at.

18. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 8 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]402172[/snapback]</div>
    For rear wheel drive cars and slick roads, there's less chance of spin-out if the car's in neutral. Otherwise the engine could slow down your rear wheels just enough to spin you around or off the road. But we're talking about front wheel drive VSC cars...

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, if you *start* below 42 in neutral and wind up going faster
    than that, the ICE does *NOT* spin. I know this from watching my
    vacuum gauge, and secondarily from listening to the [lack of] crank-
    sensor output when I had a little speaker widget hooked up to do so.
    Remember, the definition of Neutral is "you may not touch the motors"
    and a side effect is that if the engine is in running mode it stays
    that way, and if it's off it stays off, NO MATTER WHAT.
    I've had my '04 up to 68 MPH downhill in warp neutral. Yes, that
    would have put MG1 close to the 10,000 rpm limit. Air resistance,
    and for all I know windage resistance *around* MG1 inside the case,
    prevented my speed from getting any higher than that. But MG1
    didn't fly apart, so I guess life is good.
    On country roads I often get opportunities to cruise down gentle
    slopes up to maybe 50 mph like this. The point when doing this is
    to *not* regen, but rather to coast as far as you reasonably can
    before having to apply power again. Soapbox derby.
    _H*

20. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello everyone. I don't post that often, but I did post on this subject a while ago. Everyone is sort of supplying half accurate information. Here is the repost:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RolfS @ Sep 14 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]319358[/snapback]</div>