1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neutrality

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Senate mulls fate of net neutrality

"Net neutrality legislation would stop the owners of broadband networks from charging for prioritized content and services over their pipes. Without such laws, net neutrality proponents argue a two-tiered Internet would transpire - with a fast lane for priority content and a sluggish lane for everything else."

The net has been neutral all of this time and it isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. This is just another instance of taking something that works just fine and ruining it to make a profit.

Just think. One company.....Barnes and Noble maybe...pays for high priority. Another....Amazon.com maybe...doesn't. So you look for books on both. Barnes and Noble comes up right away. Amazon takes forever to load, forever to search, forever to find the book. You finally give up in disgust and buy from Barnes and Noble. Oh, I can so see how "fair" that is. And who is going to decide what is priority content and what gets the slow lane?

I'll take a Neutral Net every time. Because I don't want the "for profits" deciding certain political blogs are low priority. Nothing like using profit as a tool for censorship.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Even with heavy hitters Google, amazon and eBay opposing multi-levels, the House Republicans did their thing and supported the Big Bandwidth Boys. Another reason we'll need a Democratic Congress (but a few Democrats did vote with the Republicans on this one).

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

To those of us who remember the net in the good old days before it became a big commercial enterprise, the idea of a "two lane" system is anathema.
    Note that the corporations who most vigorously oppose net neutrality (i.e., AT&T) are the same communications companies that cooperated with the NSA in the domestic surveillance operations.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 16 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]272103[/snapback]</div>
    Republicans, democrats, I'm not sure it matters all that much. After all, the article itself says:
    This, in my mind, proves that there are members from both sides proposing this bill and when the amendment was voted down last time it was down by both sides of the aisle.

I am will to bet, ghost, that if you try really hard, you can make a post that doesn't contain political spite.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In a capitalist society, all economic activity is motivated by profit, i.e. greed. Whatever makes the most money for the wealthiest (and therefore most politically powerful) people will be done. And since politics is merely the art of using power to get your way, what you and I want will be as irrelevant here as in any other aspect of politics. Whether Verizon and its co-monopolists, or Google and its anologs win out will be settled by political and economic power.

Consider radio: It was begun by amateurs: people who did it as a hobby. Both point-to-point radio communication, and broadcasting were done without thought of making money, and it was open to anyone who had the know-how to participate. Eventually the government stepped in to regulate it and assign frequencies, because, frankly, it was chaotic. Eventually broadcasters began to accept paid advertising, and pretty soon a broadcast licence was virtually a licence to print money, and was a valuable commodity. Amateur radio and the citizen's band still exist, but basically you pay to communicate over the air waves, and broadcasters are controlled by the greed motive in their quest for more and more advertising dollars.

The Internet is still relatively new. Like the early days of radio, there are still a lot of freebies: lots of services and information are still free. Domain names and bandwidth are cheap. Email is free after you've gained access to the web. But as the net matures all this will be replaced by mechanisms to squeeze profits out of it, and the providers of bandwidth are going to demand their share. And differential priorities will be part of that. Eventually we'll have to pay (probably not very much) for email and searches, as well as new services that will come along once profit is clearly established as the underlying purpose of the internet. Premium sites already charge for content, and eventually most content will cost.

It's the capitalist way. It's not good, but as long as we are a capitalist society, it's coming. And if any conservatives say they want a "neutral" net, they're just being hypocritical.

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well here's an opposing opinion.

USA Today Editorial - Don't let 'net neutrality' become a roadblock to progress

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("USA Today")</div>
    I don't know enough about the issue to have my own opinion yet.