1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Never owned a Prius, help buy a used 2nd Gen.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Floyd Coburn, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Floyd Coburn

Floyd Coburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone,

A little about myself...I a coming up on a end of lease and want to be more frugal. I can afford to buy a used Prius and have about 7k set for a car. I rather just buy then get into a car payment.

Here are my options locally:

1. I found a 2004 with 80k miles, original owner that wants 6k for it. It has some paint damage, sun to the top and clear coat. But the lower miles is a plus, but do you think that is as important?? No body damage or accidents, just clear coat peel.

2. I have a local dealer that sells them from 6-8K with about 100-170k miles, but they all look to be in decent shape and he says they are all ran through Toyota for a full check up prior to sell.

So between those what do you guys think? Low miles as important? I was going to offer 5-5500 for the low mileage one if you guys think it is a decent deal.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One thing you have to prepare for is the hv battery failing after 10 years. Although the 2004 sounds good, it may need a hv battery replacement shortly. Are you not worried about cosmetics on the car?

3. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am hoping I could invest say $500 for paint repair to fix the damaged clear areas, it is just the area at the back hatch and rear driver quarter, on the top that is flaking off.

I care for cosmetics, but the miles it what interested me since it has less than 100k. Seems like all of them have over that. I also noted that with the really low miles the prices reach the price of a certified used gen 3.

Do you suggest a newer year with higher mileage than this 2004? If so what years should I stick to? Like 2007 to 2009?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a crapshoot. the '04 is built like a tank, but the battery in any case can always go south and your warranty is up.

you should be prepared to spend $500. - $3500. depending on how you would tackle it if it went down.how long do you plan to keep it?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think an original owner 2004 is a good choice, assuming the maintenance has been kept up on it. If you have $7000 to spend, save the remaining amount for the replacement battery when needed.

Unless you plan to keep the car garaged for the remainder of it's lifetime, you'll probably run into the flaking paint/clearcoat beyond the hatch, hood and roof areas. The hot California sun will soon make the entire car look bad....especially after 10 years old.

6. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan 5 years, I average 12k miles a year right now, I want it to be more since I am leasing a car I watch my miles, rent a car when I travel far, like over 300 miles one way etc. I was hoping with a Prius I could not worry about miles and own one out right.

My third option is a certified used gen 3. A local dealer sells the 2010-2011 for 14999-16999 depending how long they sit. About 50k to 65k miles with a 1 year full coverage 12000 mile warranty. Also up to 7 year 100k. They are also offering 0 percent on all used Priuses, but even if I bought one for 14999 I would be 17k out the door and have a payment, which I what I want to avoid.....

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are really just personal choices. i prefer newer, but not everyone does or can afford to. my daughter has my old '08, close to 100k, no problems, but that doesn't mean she won't have. at least she has 3 years left on the battery warranty. have you considered other cars?

8. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I was also thinking just anything Toyota. Since I am going from Leasing to owning. I know the best option is a reliable Toyota product. I was thinking Prius to go extreme frugal on gas since it is now 4 a gallon here.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are you leasing now, and how much is the residual on it? Purchasing it is not an option?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would shop yaris/corolla/camry, just to see what the hybrid premium is. find something similar and compare cost savings vs gas savings at your miles per year. not trying to scare you away, but once you hit the 10/150 warranty, you want to be prepared for the small possibility of battery replacement. better to go in with your eyes open, even if it is toyota.

11. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My residual is 24k on a 2013 Infiniti G37. The lease was attractive at the time, 0 down and I pay 350 total a month for 24 months with 12k allowed a year. Almost a 40k car new, but I am over it. I rather have no payments.

12. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BIsco,

what do you think about this then?

A local used car dealer has a 2005 Prius with a new battery installed from Toyota, he said the MSRP is $3800. The Prius has 120k miles and was also inspected by the local Toyota dealer. He wants $7995 for it plus tax, title, license. Do you think that is a decent deal? I would be about 1500 over my budget for a new battery.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would offer $6,500 plus tax, etc. after seeing the repair invoice for the new traction battery from a Toyota dealership. Make sure the "new" battery is not actually a "remanufactured" battery from a fly-by-night place.

Kelley Blue Book

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In your negotiations, just mention that Toyota is about to come out with its next generation Prius and is offering mega deals on new 2015s. That depresses all used car prices down the line.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The paint on the 2004 is delaminating and will continue to do so. New paint on top of it will last a few years (just beyond the shop's warranty) but you'll be right back to where you are today. To do it right the old paint has to be stripped off.

I wouldn't spend the money to restore a 2004. If money's that tight I wouldn't spend it on a cheap paint job that's going to last a few years. Different story if you were going to sell the car in a year or two.

Every Prius will have the balance of the 10 year/150000 mile warranty on the battery. A replacement battery from Toyota will have a 1 year warranty.

Options should also be taken into account. I'd go for the lower miles. Register the VINs at Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More to see the dealer service records.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it includes some comprehensible and decent warranty backing I don't place a lot of faith in a used car dealership "inspection or check".

Before you buy, it's how great the inspection is, AFTER you buy? If you have some problem, it's ....."Well you did buy a higher mileage used vehicle"....so unless the check is coupled with some type of warranty backing, I wouldn't value it very highly.

Therefore, with a budget I might be inclined to buy the lower mileage vehicle with cosmetic damage from the private party. I would however use some of that "savings" to get the vehicle checked out independently at a dealership. In that case, you're paying them for the inspection, and they don't have interest in selling you a vehicle, just perhaps gaining you as a customer going forward.

I might be a little prejudiced in this area, as I once bought an older used Honda Accord from a dealer who presented me with the fabled 60pt inspection, with all the systems and areas supposedly checked out. Once purchased immediately discovered it needed a new axle. Even though supposedly front end suspension had passed.

I complained that their used car inspection had "passed" the front end, and I would think something as obvious as an axle would of been checked and caught. If I remember right, the dealership did supposedly discount me some on the repair. In the end, this "checked out" vehicle cost me the cost of buying it, plus about $1000 dollars more in almost immediately discovered further repairs.

The only upside was once I did get it fixed up, as a Honda it was very reliable for the next 6-8 years I owned it. I probably did everything wrong in purchase EXCEPT for ultimately buying what was a good product. You live and learn.

But anyway, it soured me on valuing older used car "inspections" as having much if any value outside of just being a selling tool of most used car dealerships.

17. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah your right. Did not think of that. Plus buying at a dealer will be a premium: Tax, title, Document fee. Private party I can just go to my AAA office to take care of the paperwork.

I am thinking finding a good used one from a private party, get it for a decent price and keep money in savings for the inevitable; battery failure.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    with a private party, you still have tax and possible title/registration if it's due.

19. Floyd Coburn

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, doc fees is what dealer charge extra....I was even thinking of buying in Arizona to save on tax. I know out there no tax from private party to private party....

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can't avoid tax. Unless you register in Arizona first and it's in your name when you bring it into CA.