1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEVs in Wisconsin now possible!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tracysbeans, Apr 26, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I just wanted to let anyone in WI know that on April 14th Governor Doyle signed the bill to allow citys and counties to enact an ordinance to allow Neighboorhood Vechiles to be driven on the roads.

I'm working with the city council in Green Bay to have them enact that ordinance here! I hope I'm successful!

Tracy

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you go, girl! :D

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    bikes can't ridden on the road in wisconsin?

4. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Apr 26 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]245860[/snapback]</div>
    Bikes don't take up entire lanes of traffic; they're ridden on shoulders and on the edges of the road where cars can easily pass.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Apr 26 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]245803[/snapback]</div>
    Tracy,
    The GEM Dealer in Portage, WI (Hill Chrysler) faxed me a copy of a sample ordinance. I'll scan it and attach it to this thread tonight. Or if you need it sooner you can always call Hill Chrysler and they can fax it directly to you.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, Tracey. You're going to have to provide some examples. I'm missing something. What's a neighborhood vehicle? I'm just not getting it.

7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 2 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]248519[/snapback]</div>
    NEVs are street legal low speed electric vehicles.
    Here are two examples:
    - Zap Cars http://www.zapworld.com/index.asp
    - GEM http://www.gemcar.com/

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Alright. That's it.

I want a Smart or perhaps a GEM. Probably a Smart.
    First I have to move to somewhere that there are real streets and decent driving conditions.

Are you kidding me? There's a GEM dealer in Fowler, Indiana. My apologies to the 100 or so residents of Fowler, but that's just about as close to BFE as you can get. What an odd place for a GEM dealer.

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 2 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]248531[/snapback]</div>
    The only GEM dealer in the state of Wisconsin is in Portage, Wisconsin, a town of ~10,000.

Sorry, I can't get my scanner working tonight so I can't upload the ordinance template. I'll give it a try again tomorrow night after work.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbecky @ May 2 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]248868[/snapback]</div>

Eric, Thanks! I got the info I needed for my meeting last night with the City Council. I have been sick for the last week and a half so I haven't been online much to see these posts.

Ok on to the FUN I had with the City Council last night:

Ok so I presented the Neighbor vehicles to my local City Council members tonight. All present seemed ok with enacting an ordinance to allow them to be driven in Green Bay.

I came across ONE issue though with the police officer in attendance. He wasn't keen on driving the Gems on roads at 35mph since they only could go 20-25mph. He suggested to lower that to 30mph roads or less. BUT that would be a BIG BIG problem. I couldn't get to the other side of town without having to at some time go on a 35mph road. ALSO I told him I drive my moped on those 35mph roads and it can only go up to 29mph at top speed. He said yeah but the Gem is bigger than a moped. I said yeah but what does that matter. Either way I take up a lane. Matter fact I think it would be worse with the smaller moped possibly being in more blinds spots.

Luckily one of Alderman kept saying that everyone else has it 35mph. So let's just leave it.

So it looks like it's a go but I have to go through another round next week with the City Council. My local Alderman said if all goes will we can get this all set in 3 weeks.

They also are trying to decide if the Gems needs licenses. They said they should already have to have a license plate like my moped does. I said I don't think so because if that were the case wouldn't I be allowed to drive it anywhere within the state of WI since it would have a WI state license plate on it.

Funny thing is I just realized this morning that the road I live on is 35mph! (I though it was 30mph) So that cop will have to deal with use driving these on the main roads cause if not I just found out I can't even drive down my own road! :eek:

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorta glorified golf-carts? The base prices aren't bad I guess.

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]252310[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah pretty much. I was leaning towards these over the an EV Ford since they can be plugged in the a 110v. That way I can charge up pretty much anywhere.

The base price I guess isn't bad but the add ons are expensive.

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well my little town has finally written their own local ordinance allowing NEVs.
    tracysbeans, did you ever get one?
    I'm going to test drive one in a few weeks.

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbecky @ Sep 12 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]318174[/snapback]</div>

Yes, so far I have gotten an ordinace for Nevs in Green Bay, and Ashwaubenon WI. I also have DePere, WI and having a REALLY tough time with 3 Villages I want to drive in. (Can you come help me <BEG>)

I LOVE my Gem! Best purchase I have made in my 41 years! I already have 1,300 miles on it and drive it as my main vehicle now. This week it's going back to the factory to get doors added on it for winter.

So your going to get one?!! Let me know what you get. Where are you planning to get one?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]252310[/snapback]</div>

No not at all. The E2 sells brand new for just $6,995. You can also get one off ebay for about $2,500-$3,500 if your handy and want to save some money.

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Sep 12 2006, 07:26 AM) [snapback]318233[/snapback]</div>
    Does Green Bay issue a license plate for you GEM? Or do they instead issue a sticker?
    Is there a cost associated with "registering" it?
    Also, if the ordinance gets passed in other nearby towns, will you need to get an additional plate or sticker in order to drive them in those towns?

The reason I'm asking is because my town says that if you bring an NEV from another town to our town you will need to separately license it in our town before you can have it on our streets. This makes no sense to me.

If it's already licensed /registered in one place, why would you need to license/register it again? I assume your ordinance is not written this way, otherwise you’d have quite a few licenses plates attached just to go across town!

I think that someone is either misinterpreting our ordinance, or the ordinance is poorly written and needs to be changed.

I will probably not be purchasing one, but I need to do reviews for several. In fact I have a Columbia Summit SR4 being delivered here in 2 weeks that I am supposed to test drive. I hope this gets straightened out.

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

No Green Bay and Ashwaubenon decided not to do any type of license for the Gems. Green Bay had talked about doing one like a bicyle license but than decided against it since they bill said it was there choice. Now DePere is talking about doing a city license BUT when I spoke to the police officer that helps with the City Council he said I would be excempt from getting one since I don't live in DePere. He said I would just have to follow the ordiance of where I lived.I was also concerned about having to getting multiple licenses since I want to drive my Gem in 6 different cities and villages around my area.

So can I asked what your reviewing Nevs for? Are you buying a Columbia Summit SR4 or just reviewing it.

As soon my I get the doors on my Gem the local newspaper wants to do an article on me and my enviromental vehciles. (My moped, Gem and Prius all lined up in my driveway)

If your looking for good information on Gems or Nevs I'm now loaded with info if you ever want to interview. I feel like I have learned al lot with all the research I have done and the 3 months I have been driving mine. (I have already put over 1,000 miles on my Gem in the last 3 months)

Is that Columbia Summit SR4 from Columbia Car Pars??

Tracy

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Sep 13 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]319156[/snapback]</div>
    I am trying to explain to my village the problems their policy creates. I hope that other villages don't follow our example.
    If possible I wonder if you can ask your DePere contact a question. If someone were vacationing in DePere for a week from out of state, and brought their NEV with them, would DePere make them get a city license? Or would the vacationer be exempt as long as they are following the rules where their NEV is registered? I think cities need to have things like this addressed in their ordinances. The way Wisconsin has gone about this is really making the implementation difficult.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Sep 13 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]319156[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not buyinging one. I'm simply writing a review. You see, besides organizing the Madison Hybrid Group (MHG), and heading up Hybridfest, I also write the hybrid cars section for About.com. (Today I added some of this to my signature.)

Yep.