1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 03 Classic Prius Owner, What First?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TFT, Jul 6, 2010.

1. TFT

TFT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought an 03 Prius with 96000 miles. Drives smooth and has no warning icons on MFD nor is the CEL illuminated. I know the warranty will only last for the next 4000 miles. Is there anything I should do before I eclipse the warranty miles? Should I take it to the Toyota dealer and let them check it out? Will there be a cost for them to check it for warranty items?

I plan to change the oil, trans fluid, engine and inverter coolant, and check the a/c filter and air filter. What other maintenance items should I preform before putting it into service as my daily driver?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Measure the tread depth of all four tires and make a record. Look for scalloping on the edges which could mean low tire pressure and/or alignment issues. In 5,000 miles when you rotate the tires, measure the tread depth (each tread) and compare to the earlier measurement.

Before buying new tires, consider getting a four-wheel, alignment. Check out the thread on tires.

Are you a do-it-yourself? If so, consider buying a set of Toyota maintenance manuals and the electrical schematics. New, it will be over $300 but on Ebay you can find them for half that amount. Avoid the CD-ROM versions as many of them violate copyrights and often have quality issues.

Oh, welcome to the club!

Some driving tips:

• slow speed, 25 mph, for first 1-2 miles - warm-up can burn a lot of gas. I cut through my neighborhood in the mornings so I can go slow until the car can warm-up to 70C coolant temperature. Until it reaches 70C and a couple of other 'rules,' it won't shutoff the engine when it can.
    • 42 mph is hybrid threshold - under and the car can shutoff the engine. Above it and the car has to run the ICE all the time. So I like to cruise at 38 mph on urban streets if traffic allows. Route planning can make this happen. Also, you can take stop-and-go, short cuts and significantly reduce gas consumption.
    • try to avoid regeneration and/or braking - a driving style, it is a best practice.
    • sign-up for an online mileage recording system - there are several about with various strengths and weaknesses (see my signature.) Don't for get that www.fueleconomy.gov also allows user mileage record keeping.
    • 65 mph is upper highway limit - over this speed and the fuel efficiency drops off quickly: 65 mph -> 52 MPG; 70 mph -> 49 MPG; 75 mph -> 39 MPG.
    • Max sidewall tire pressure improves handling and mileage for a little harsher ride.
    • Keep oil under "F" mark, especially after changing.
    Once again, Welcome to the Club:

Bob Wilson

3. TFT

TFT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bob

The tires are the RE92's and have quite a bit of tread left. I didn't actually measure beyond sticking my finger in the tread but they look good and are evenly worn. The carfax says 1 owner and the car looks like it has been taken care of. The paint is waxed and has only minor chips on the hood and a couple of scuffs on top of the rear bumper. The interior is in good condition also.

I am a DIY type so I will look for the service manuals. Any special tools I should Consider?

I am trying to get the maintenance records from the Toyota dealer that sold it new, but they keep refusing. What is up with that. They are acting like the records are top secret.

Ed

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please note that the hybrid system warranty is the only warranty still in effect on your car, and that will cover the inverter, traction battery, traction battery ECU and hybrid vehicle ECU. If anything was wrong with those items then a warning icon will appear in the MFD, along with the red triangle master warning light.

Certainly, you should expect the dealer service department to charge you for an hour of labor time, if you ask for a check up and no warranted problem is found.

Your fluid and filter changes are a good start. You've reported that your tires are in good condition, so the four other items that I would suggest are 1) replace the iridium spark plugs with the correct NGK or Denso plug as specified in the owner's manual, 2) replace the serpentine drive belt, 3) replace the PCV valve, and 4) clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate.

Beyond that, I would say it is quite likely that your front struts and rear shocks will require replacement given your car's odometer reading. If you can DIY you'll save a substantial labor charge on that job.

Regarding your vehicle's prior service history, any US Toyota dealership should be able to retrieve a summary of recent service performed at Toyota dealerships. This may not be a complete history, however. I suggest that you ask whether all applicable SSCs have been performed (special service campaigns, similar to a recall.)

Good luck.