1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '06 Energy Monitor abnormal behavior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ilusnforc, May 24, 2006.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been noticing on my new '06 that the yellow arrow from the ICE to the Elec. Motor to the Battery and the yellow arrow from the Battery to the Elec. Motor to the wheels frequently flashes back and forth on relatively flat roads at just about any speed. I got this video with my PDA phone so the quality is not great but should be enough to show what is going on, I use Quicktime to view it. It was taken with the cruise control set at 68 MPH on a relatively flat road. Does anyone else notice this or is there some sort of malfunction with my new Prius?

http://hometown.aol.com/ilusnforc/images/E...y%20Monitor.mp4

Thanks!

2. flynlow

flynlow Junior Member

I've noticed that on mine also, with and without the cruise control..

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohh ok.

well when it "flashes", it just means the battery is supplying power and it has to go through the motors. My guess is that you're at the border line between 7 green bars and 6 blue bars so the computer is discharging when it reaches the threshold. Next time that happens, try braking and see if the battery goes up to green.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfectly normal. The car is always trying to optimize emissions while preserving battery life.