1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new 06 Prius owner, bunch of questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cwerdna, Jan 21, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok. I got my new 06 Prius a week ago and I've got a bunch of questions. Maybe some of the answers are in the manual, but I haven't finished reading all of them from cover to cover yet.

- Is there a way to switch to AUX input via voice? It's not in the help and my attempts at saying aux, aux input, auxilary, etc. don't work.
    - Does the Prius automatically shut off all the interior and vanity lights after a certain amount of time to prevent draining the 12V battery? Both my Nissans do that if you leave them on for 30 minutes. It's saved me a BUNCH of times.
    - Is there a way to raise/lower the climate control fan speed via voice?
    - Is there some easy way to tell it a temperature via voice WITHOUT it switching on the auto climate control? It was annoying to have to go monkey w/turning off auto climate control so I stopped saying the temp.

The manual mentions that if one powers a device a device via the power outlet or cigarette lighter, "noise may occur during playback." Well, yup, that's the case w/my iPod, Monster Cable iCarPlay [to provide power] and using a standard headphone jack cable to hook into aux in. If I disconnect the iPod from my iCarPlay charger/FM transmitter, the interference I hear thru the stereo is gone but that means my iPod isn't being powered by the lighter nor being charged anymore.

Anyone know of something that definitely works to filter the power or whether ferrite slugs around cables will help?

2. barry

barry Guest

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, only 1 reply? Anyone have answers to my questions?

I did find the answer to my question about the interior lights automatically shutting off. I can safely say that the Prius DOES NOT automatically turn off the map lights after X amount of time. I left a map light on all night by accident. It was still on in the morning. :( It would be nice for Toyota to add the feature that both my Nissans had.

4. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Cwerdna,,

Look closely at the light switch on both the front and back map lights. It will say "on", "off", and "door".

Slight the switch light to "door". Do this for both lights. :rolleyes:

What accessory package do you have?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    map lights, no. dome lights yes (thought I think it's 1 hr, not 30 mins)

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think that'd help if I leave map lights on accidentally. I've got package #7.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius turns off the radio and dome lights after 1 hour. The light that will kill your little 12V battery is the light for the cargo area. It's hard to notice if you have the cover pulled over the area and leave the hatch ajar by accident.

I don't have an '06 with aux input, but try saying "Sat" or "Satellite" and see what happens.

Telling the car "72 degrees", you have to let it figure out how to do that, which means automatic air conditioning. No way to change the fan speed by voice. I just don't understand why people are so loath to let the car control the cabin climate. I see no milage hit in the winter, and in the summer, I want cool air even at the expense of MPG. The electric compressor won't run if it isn't needed.

Have fun with your new car.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I solved my "noise may occur" doing playback problem when my iPod was feeding into the aux in WHILE being powered by my Monster iCarPlay charger/FM transmitter. The solution was a ground loop isolator. I happened to stumble across http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=68425 for the solution.

I got one from Fry's: Raptor GL15 ground loop isolator for $7.99 in the car stereo section.

This belongs in a FAQ for 06+ models. John1701a?