1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '06!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jdjeep98, Jan 7, 2006.

1. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

I got it yesterday! Seaside Pearl NL package. (I wanted Nav - we have it on our Sienna and I'm addicted)

So far I love it. It's such a hoot when it goes into stealth mode. My wife and I spend the whole trip home from the dealer (about 45 minutes) watching the mileage graphs and trying to make them taller. :rolleyes:

My question is: does the EV switch mod work on an '06? I really want to put it in, but I'm too chicken to rip the dash apart until someone else does it first and tells me it works... :unsure: I know the stock button from 04/05 is too big. Is an 06 button available? Or would I be better off using the Coastal mod?

I guess that's more than one question, isn't it... :p

Thanks all.

Jim

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way for an 06 button or try your luck with Coastal's. Unless they changed programming, I don't see why Coastal's wouldn't work since it's using the cruise control stalk.

3. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

I like the OEM button, although my brother has the Coastal mod and loves it. I just haven't heard any confirmation about whether the ev mod works at all on an 06. :unsure:

I also can't find where they sell OEM buttons. I know I saw them at one point while I was waiting for my car to come in, but I didn't bookmark the site and now I can't find it. Apparently the OEM button is different for the 06, too.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jim

4. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

Here is the bookmark. It's down near the bottom

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, it seems like areometer has updated the site with the 06 button or so it says in the description for the EV button.

6. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

I doubt that that's the right button, since the 06 button is reportedly smaller. That looks like the 04/05 button, doesn't it?

Maybe I should just get the Coastal unit and take my chances. It just concerns me a little that there seem to be enough changes in the 06 that I'm not confident that EV will work. I just spent all my money on a car, I don't want to buy any accessories that don't work with it.

...know what I mean?...
    Jim :rolleyes:

7. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Well, I guess it helps to poke around a little more. I went back to his site and found that the picture wasn't the only link in the box! Apparently, the 06 button really is available. :lol: I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it works as soon as I can get it installed.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try to double check next time before I ask...

:rolleyes:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tell you guys what. For pennies someone can go out and find out once and for all if the EV mod will work. Look at my EV install instructions, buy a cheap momentary switch or harvest one from some old junked computer or other electronics, swipe a pin from the steering column and give it a try.

If the software/firmware HAS been changed on the '06 for NA and it doesn't work you guys will have spent a lot of time and money on these buttons and such for nothing.

Just try it out then order the fancy OEM switch to install once you're sure it'll work.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah the left one looks like the 04/05 one and the right looks like the new 06 version since it's shorter and fatter. I'd suggest PMing Areometer and ask if he has the 06 version in stock or whether they're on order. Also, yeah perhaps take Evan's advice and do a test first.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the 04/05 button at work and have an 06 Prius. The button is at work though. I'll compare them.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't fit. But, if you can, just do the install anyway...leave the button hanging out the hole in the dash and test it and use it until the button for the '06 comes in.

12. canadianimport

canadianimport New Member

Does the Costal mod or EV switch have any "indicator" when EV is active? (like the 'cruise' light when cruise controll is turned on)

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. If you're on a screen other than the Energy screen the monitor will switch over to the Energy screen, but otherwise there's no indiction that the EV mode 'took'.

14. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quote from Professor Hubert Farnsworth "Good news every one!" I have tested my 2006 Prius for the EV mode and it DOES WORK! BUT my check light came on when I had my button installed. After I removed the pin the light went off. Dont know what that was about. Anyone have any ideas? maybe I had a loose wire somewhere? Maybe it dont like the EV mode? I restarted my car a few times and it did not go away until I removed that pin.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That is good news and bad news. What did you ground to? Could that have been doing it?

It would suck if Toyota programmed the ECU to make that CEL light come on just b/c there's a pin in that slot.

What was your set up for your test?

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assumed the light was on the switch, but maybe not? If it showed somewhere else on the dash that would be nice too!

17. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Crap. You are right. I just measured them and they are not the same. I thought I would get a head start and order it before I got the car. Oh well.

18. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is that for the 05 or the 06? I see both in the picture?

If not where do I get the 06 EV button from?

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Prii where the EV button is standard (Japan, EU, Australia) there is an area on the dash that says "EV" when EV is active. There is otherwise no constant indictator on the NA Prius when we mod to add the button. Norman's CanView has a screen that will state if EV is active or not if you get that.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    '
    Both. The right one is the 06 as you can see it's shorter and fatter