1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '07 - Decisions, Decisions!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ahmorgan, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ahmorgan

ahmorgan Junior Member

I've been wondering about when (financially :rolleyes: ) it's time to get a new Prius.

Have an '04 with 61K, working fine - but I'm starting to see the inventory increase, and wonder if the days of obscene resale values are about to come to an end. (Actually made money when I sold my '01 privately, after paying off the lease!)

Stopped at the dealer in Cedar Rapids, as they were wonderful to work with in 2003 when I bought my Silver '04 (maxed out, for the time - NAV, BT, HomeLink, VSC, etc.). Same guys are still there, so that's a good sign. They've offered a good trade-in value on the car, and I can apparently get pretty much whichever one I want - what a change!

So here's my quandary - Tourning or not? I really don't like the standard Goodyear Integrity tires, so the $270 difference about pays for the tires. Any other advantages/disadvantages?

Other question - Leather or not? Has it held up well? I like the brown/tan leather a bit better, but then they change the carpet to the tan, which I think could show wear a bit more.

The only major negative right now for me is the loss of the Hack into the NAV system - we've used it a LOT on long trips, dealing with traffic jams, etc - and I'm not sure I like the idea of cutting wires, but if necessary, I would.

I'd like a car that would be fun, but I want it to have good marketability in the future. I'd appreciate any comments on the Touring/Leather, etc.

Thanks - I promised a call to the dealer first thing in the morning!

Cheers,
    Aletia

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Aletia:

Go for it! :) Take the leather, too. It smells so good, is sooo comfortable, and IMHO, you get your money back in resale value later.

3. ahmorgan

ahmorgan Junior Member

Thanks, Derk! I think I agree! :D

We'll see what they can find for me....

Cheers,
    Aletia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Dec 3 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]357138[/snapback]</div>

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had cloth seats on my 2005 with matching seat covers. I have leather on my 2007 and transferred the seat covers from the 2005 (cloth) to the 2007 (leather). Leather holds up well and I like protecting the seats with the seat covers. The Touring has a firmer feel and ride, appears to track better.

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I traded in a 2004 Prius on a 2005, and then the 2005 in for a 2006 (non-touring, with leather). Next year, I'll be trading in the 2006 for a 2007. Driftwood to silver to black, next one will be magnetic gray, as I love that color on my wife's camry hybrid.

I've ordered the 2007 without leather, because for the same price I will go aftermarket and get a darker color leather: either dark grey or black. I will also have seat heaters put in at the same time.

I didn't really research the touring edition at all. bigger wheels, spoiler weren't of interest. not sure what else was involved, or the cost difference.

rob

6. ahmorgan

ahmorgan Junior Member

Thanks for your experiences!

We decided that we really should drive a 2007 Touring model, or we would always wonder - so we went back up to the dealer Monday and drove the one they had on the lot. Honestly, we REALLY liked it! It felt significantly more stable on the road, and given that we do a lot of long distance driving, (61K in less than 3 years), we both decided it was valuable. Still liked the blue, but we decided the marginal utility of the ride/driving experience was greater than that of the color, since we can't see it from inside!

Our dealer could get his hands on a Driftwood with Pkg 6/Leather, so we pick it up Saturday!

Only downsides - the (I think) cheesier displays all around on the menus, etc, and the need to install a physical switch for the NAV override. But I guess we'll survive ;)

Thanks!
    Aletia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Dec 6 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]358635[/snapback]</div>