1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '09 - couple of questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tundrwd, Oct 20, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Questions:

I noticed almost immediately that when driving the Prius (picked it up with 4 miles on it), that when on the highway, the steering felt "squirrely". The feeling you normally get when the tires are not inflated evenly. Not the feeling you get when it's out of alignment, but much more a tire related issue. The steering would be fine, start to drift a bit due to the road, you'd make a slight correction in the other direction, then it would almost overcompensate in that direction, have to pull it back, etc. A "cycle" of about 20-25 seconds going right/left, etc. This also didn't feel like it does when the tires are overinflated.

I checked tire pressure, and that wasn't the problem.

With 80 or so miles now on the Prius, it seems to be getting better. Could this just be due to getting the tires "worn in" or "worn down a tad"? I've never really noticed this on other vehicles in the past, or when replacing tires on existing vehicles. Has anyone else noticed this?

I also ordered the bumper protector from the Prius Chat shop. Strange thing during the order - I went all the way through, and instead of what I would have expected at the end - showing me an order number and receipt to print, it took me back to the shopping cart. I got the "glad you signed up" email, but haven't received an email receipt. Is this normal?

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    welcome to PC. You have found the not so wonderful Goodyear Integrity tires I see. They are weird when new and get better with miles on them. They also dont hold the road like you would wish. They also will wear quickly. would have rather had Michellin on the stock car myself.

The PC shop sent you an email didnt it? It does for me. send Danny the admin an email if you'd like to confirm. Nice guy.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The "vague steering" is also partially the driver. We're not used to "electric steering", and tend to overcompensate. You will/are getting used to it. Try 40PSI front and 38 PSI rear for tire pressures if you are driving the non-touring. The touring doesn't respond as well to elevated pressures. It comes with "real" tires mounted.

4. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks. PM'ed Danny.

5. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe, but I don't think so.

I can definitely feel the steering is different, and I'm not sure that's what I'm experiencing. There's a definite difference in feel due to the drivetrain, etc. compared to other vehicles, but this is almost certainly a "tire" thing.