1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new 12v Trustart battery installed by dealer keeps failing to start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wpease, May 15, 2015.

1. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 prius; the original 12 V never once failed till Dec 25 last year- 5 years and a few months after I bought the car. Took it to the dealer; they said the battery seemed 'good' but since it was the start of winter (in Maryland) and I felt I'd had a good innings from the original I bought a new one- about 250$. That has failed every 2 months since. I do not believe I'm leaving anything on. It's parked in a garage; driven at least 10-15 miles every day if not more; the original used to be outside in a colder climate (New Jersey). The dealer refused to replace the battery though it's under warranty as they say 'it tests good'. They cant find a ground fault or any other reason the car fails to start (each time I get it jumped and drive to the dealer). They suggested I call Toyota customer service who refer me back to the dealer and tell me another option i have is to get a second opinion i.e take it t o yet another dealer. Ive owned other makes of cars for over 10 years each. No 12 v battery has ever failed so frequently. Any ideas on either how to deal to get a dealer to put in a new battery or get Toyota to actually help? thanks, W.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many times have they replaced the battery? Maybe there's a loose negative ground, the one that attaches to the car body.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try measuring the voltage with a digital voltmeter. Near new battery in good shape should be reading around 12.6 volt.

Is TruStart a Toyota approved replacement battery?

4. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes, the dealer claim the Trustart is the same battery type that was in the car originally.
    The battery has been replaced once. In Dec 2014. The original battery never gave any trouble till then.
    The dealership claims to have tested for all ground faults and found nothing.

The tow company person said that storing the key too close to the car may cause battery drain. Is that likely? Because if I get in the car with the key inside my house and attempt to start it says Key Not Detected. In that case is there any chance the key transmitter is managing enough of a connection to just drain the electric systems/battery but not start the car?
    (I dont have the key all that close to the garage actually_/
    Thanks
    W.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just sounds like a bad battery since you've never had this problem since 2010 and now it's happening after a battery change.

6. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I cant get the dealer to swap it out, They keepp sending me home with the same thing that's failed a couple times saying 'it tests good' (charge levels, i suppose. AFTER i have to call AAA, get jump starts, reschedule or miss appointments) and the Totyota at HQ say they cant do anything if the dealer finds no problem.
    APparently my problem with it failing to start the car isnt enough.
    w

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get someone else to check voltage, or do yourself, with a dig. Volt meter. Even a cheap $30-30 one will suffice. That'll likely show the dealership is lying.

8. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Leave the car at the dealership. Hopefully the battery will fail while at the dealer. The dealer needs to see that the battery is actually failing on its own and then be able to run tests on the car when it fails. Ask for a free loaner car. If this dealer won't cooperate, go to another dealer.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ask the dealer to show you how they're testing it, and report here with the specs. also, read the battery warranty.

10. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They had no specs other than a readout that the electric, network and fuel systems were 'ok'. The battery reported 12.6 V and 333 CCA.
    They did not take me onto the shop floor but to test the battery they said they used the terminals directly on the battery in the back , not the jump start ones in front.
    Thanks
    W

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12.6 is a little weak. depends on how they tested it. you have to let it sit for a few hours after shutting the car off, or turn the headlights on for a few minutes to release the surface charge. i think you're getting the run around.

there should be a testing procedure from toyota. i think it has something to do with reading the voltage with everything off, then turning on the headlights, and seeing how much it drops.

my 3 year old battery reads 12.7 with everything off, at the front jump point.

a new battery reads 13.0, so, there has to be a number at which it is defective. that number is definitely not 11.9 volts.

#11 bisco, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  12. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks all. still working it through. Not all that familiar with this board, but that's in a conversation. all inputs most appreciated. W.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    12.6 is not bad, if it's not measured right after charging. A freshly driven car will read a little higher too. Ours is hovering around 12.5, if I check it cold in the morning, after the car's had a good down time. It's a bit over 4 years old.