1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 15" alloys for my 2010 IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mindmachine, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I decided to stick with the 15" size. These are sport Edition 15x6.5, 38 mm offset, going to fit them with Bridgestone RE 960 Pole Positions.

I like the look of bigger wheels but don't like the ride or higher tire weights. These weigh 18 lbs and the tires will be 21 lbs. So I am still going to take a 4 lb hit on the combination.

Attached Files:

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice looking wheel. Reminds me of the Gen2 Touring wheel.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do you have any pics with them installed? they look pretty nice :)

5. pro101

pro101 The best car, is no car.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting. Am also looking at 4 wheels with winter tires for the snowy season. How much more weight would you have added, had you chosen to upgrade to 17'?

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That seems heavy for a 15" given that some aftermarket 17" weighs under 18 lbs. Kind of defeats your purpose of not liking the higher tire weights when you could find lighter 15".

7. Wifey2njchpd

Wifey2njchpd My other car is.... out of gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have to agree with 32kcolors. My 18" wheels weigh 18.3 lbs and the tires 22 lbs. However, the road noise definitely increased. The handling is better though.

So if you want to keep the cushy, plush ride of the 15's, then those are very nice looking wheels. IMO, you can't go wrong with a multi-spoke wheel for the Prius. ;-)

8. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are correct but partially incorrect. The rotational mass issue is dependent on the moment arm. The radius of the wheel is important especially since most of the weight is in the rim itself. The longer the radius the more energy has to be exerted to overcome inertia to rotate the wheel. So the same weight 15" requires less energy then the 17". Then look at the tires, the weight of the tire (center of gravity) is also further out from the center of the wheel, plus the 17 " low profile tires most guys buy to get the dame OD are heavier than the 15" recommended size. So from the standpoint of the mechanics of the issue there is still quite a difference attrituable to the moment arm effect.

Centrifugal forces also must be considered along with the Coriolis component of acceleration and energy consumption.

9. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Sounds like then that with the 17" setup, and the larger mass away from the center, that once I pick up speed my momentum from the rotational mass would be larger than with the 15" setup. Perhaps what I give up in FE for the tire width, I make up for in the rolling momentum, taking less fuel to keep it rolling once at speed???

10. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "Sounds like then that with the 17" setup, and the larger mass away from the center, that once I pick up speed my momentum from the rotational mass would be larger than with the 15" setup. Perhaps what I give up in FE for the tire width, I make up for in the rolling momentum, taking less fuel to keep it rolling once at speed???"

Theoretically yes but apparently getting them going costs more energy and does not out weigh the start up energy difference. Most post on here show that the larger diameter wheels take a hit of 1 to 2 MPG.