1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New '15 Prius v owner... so far quite impressed (except for the NAV)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by flynz4, Feb 16, 2015.

1. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a '15 Prius v Five with ATP. So far I am quite impressed. I was previously driving an '06 Prius (package 8) and the v seems like much more car.

About the only thing I dislike so far is the navigation package. It has a bunch little quirky things and it just seems more difficult to use than the previous Nav system in my old Prius. A couple of things that bug me are:
    • No Nav button on the steering wheel, or even on the MFD screen. What were they thinking?
    • Nav button is hidden behind the "App" button... so it takes two presses to get to the Nav.
    • Hitting the NAV button (when you finally get to it) does not seem to recenter the screen on your current position (unlike the old NAV) - Correction... this does not seem to be the case.
    • Many of the buttons on the NAV screen seem to be a couple of millimeters off the bottom of the display... so if you hit one of these buttons near the bottom... instead of selecting the function... you often reposition the cursor and lose having the map keep up with your location
    • To get rid of the cursor and center the screen on the current position... you need to hit another small button on the bottom of the display (sometimes moving the map once again)
    None of these are earth shattering problems... but you have to wonder if the designer of the system ever really used one in real life, while driving. The user interface is (IMHO) horrid... and the NAV on the '06 Prius was much more usable, even though it had fewer features.

Toyota could have (and should have) done a better job on this design.

/Jim

#1 flynz4, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly enough, it's the latest version and you missed the [fiasco that is the] 2012-2014 6.1" Display Audio system with the Garmin-like interface (although the ATP version would've had an HDD version of your '06 Prius' nav and would've been more familiar).

3. Bob-blehead

Bob-blehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! I too am a new Prius v owner. And like you, I am very impressed with the vehicle. I hope you enjoy your experience here, and congratulations on your new purchase!

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I've been here on PriusChat since 2005 when I bought my first Prius. I actually bought two since I liked it so much. Both were 2006 model year cars with option 8.

My daughter just totaled one at 128K miles... so I gave her mine (108K miles) and I bought myself a new 2015 Prius v Wagon Five with the ATP package. So far so good.

Today I had another clunky experience with the electronics. I left work... and a minute or two later, my radio froze up saying that it was making a phone call to my own cell phone number (using my cell phone). My cell phone was normal, and was not making a call. I rebooted the radio (pushing the button for 3+ seconds)... but as soon as it rebooted... it quickly moved back into the mode where it said it was calling my cell phone again. I pulled off the road, rebooted my phone (iPhone 6 Plus), restarted the car, and rebooted the radio. No more problem.

One thing I did see pop up on the screen while I was using Pandora... was a warning message that Entune was disabled when an Apple device was plugged into the USB port. I've since moved my iPhone to be powered off of a lighter-to-USB adapter rather than the dash mounted USB port. Maybe that will mitigate some issues.

/Jim

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What a bad call on the removal of the MAP button (around head unit screen) on the 2015 v with or without ATP. At first I thought OP missed MAP button looking for NAV button. After lots of gallery and brochure viewing at toyota web site, I now see fewer buttons 8 (2015 v) vs 10 2012 - 2014 v with Adv Tech Pkg. So all trim levels for 2015 prius v get 8 buttons, but the 2015 Prius hatchback still gets 6 buttons for Display Audio and 10 buttons for HDD primium navigation, while the 2015 PiP gets 6 or 14 buttons (base or advanced trim). So it's not like that are trying to save by having fewer configurations of head unit buttons across the Prius vehicle line. I would ask toyota if I didn't think I would get a template answer.

It is almost like they don't want you to use the Navigation system in the lower Prius trim levels. Maybe they think that if you can't use it (conveniently) maybe the users will not notice all the voice commands they removed that still work in my son's Gen II prius Navigation system. (Personal rant inserted at end).

6. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My mistake... I said "NAV" when I should have said "MAP". I wasn't looking at the car when I made the post... and my other car (Jeep) calls it a NAV button.

In any case...my disappointment is that there is no MAP button on either the steering wheel or on the head unit. You have to hit APPS first... then hit the MAP/NAV (whatever it is called). It is just clumsy for a feature that is so highly used.

/Jim

7. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you hit the speak button on the steering wheel, then say "Show Map"?

If not, you may have to say "Navigation Commands" first, and then say "Show Map".

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm not sure how burying it under "Apps" is the hip thing to do when the headunit needs to display Audio and Navigation functions as its main functions.

9. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with Jim that it should not take 2 button presses to get to the navigation screen. Toyota has been forcing Prius drivers with display audio to do just that. Thanks to se-riouse for reminding us about the voice command "show map" although I suspect that it might respond with sorry, can't find Mohawk.

Now for my rant; in a gen III Prius, try to stop navigation in less than 2 button presses. Can't do it. Try voice command to stop navigation. Does not exists for Gen III Prius. Try to pause navigation guidance. Impossible in a Gen III Prius. But in my son's Gen II voice command pause or stop (or start) navigation works 9 out of 10 times.

P.S. We all knew what you meant with Nav/MAP Jim. I just could not believe the one button navigation option was removed for top trim 2015 Prius v.

10. [Sic]Society

[Sic]Society Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the detail on the changes to the NAV functionality. I have a 2013 and I still love mine. The 2015 has some nice new feature tho, especially the Headlights. Found this nice video tour:

11. rspeaker

rspeaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I found that when Siri is activated on my iPhone 6, the Audio/Video screen in my v Three shows it is "calling" my phone number. Seems weird, but I don't freak out anymore when I see that on the screen.

I still haven't figured out Entune, makes zero sense to me. I was plugging into USB, but for whatever reason my iTunes music automatically starts playing. I usually listen to podcasts so this behavior is kind of annoying. Also, the USB provides so little power: I found it charges my 6 Plus about 5% every 30 minutes, whereas my 12v charger does 5% in about 10 minutes. I've started using Bluetooth for audio, because it doesn't (or at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't) start auto-playing, BUT it does take 30-60 seconds to connect to the phone. First-world problems...

Greg75 likes this.
  12. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info about Siri causing the screen to show it was calling it's own phone. I did not know that, but I will check it out tomorrow during my drive to work.

Regarding USB: It seems that Entune (or parts of it) get disabled, or go wonky whenever an Apple device is plugged into the USB port. I have switched to using a cigarette lighter USB adapter and link my iPhone 6 Plus via Bluetooth, which seems stable. I have tested Pandora several times as well and it seems to work fine and my iPhone music stopped auto-playing. I think disconnecting the iPhone from the USB port was the trick (or at least I hope so).

/Jim

#12 flynz4, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. rspeaker

rspeaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If I recall, it says it's "calling" my number when Siri is being used, or when using the dictate feature (microphone next to the space bar on the keyboard.)

I was really looking forward to using a USB to play and charge, but it seems Toyota isn't very committed to their iOS app nor their own Entune system. Bluetooth is fine, and their is always AUX In if that has issues.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Try pressing the 'home' button

15. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The home button brings you to the "Home" screen... which is not the same as the full screen navigation page. Although I am not positive... I do not think that you can navigate from the Home screen to the full MAP/NAV screen easily.

As an aside... I happen to be an instrument rated pilot, and my expectation of navigation electronics is high. Good avionics are complex... but at the same time build-in intuitiveness, stability, predictability, and are generally bullet proof. These characteristics are necessary to survive while flying a plane without being able to see out the windshield. By contrast, the entune system has none of these characteristics... except being complex.

I am getting more accustomed to the user interface... but I still think they did a lousy job on it. Maybe my expectations are too high... after all, I could by two (or more) complete Prii for the cost of my avionics. What I find most disappointing is they seem to have moved backwards from previous products.

/Jim

I was reading the manual some more tonight which has some references to the incompatibility. One such reference says that you might get unstable operation if an iPhone is connected both via USB and via Bluetooth simultaneously.

Given that the iPhone can be connected via multiple "BT profiles" such as BT Phone, BT Audio, and BT Entune... you might be able to remove one of those profiles and hence remove the conflict. In my case... I think I will just use Bluetooth for all modes of data connection between my iPhone and the head unit. Instead of plugging the phone into the vehicles USB port... I am using a cig lighter adapter instead.

/Jim

16. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good news to report. If you are driving with your Home screen normally displayed... then hitting the map section of the display brings you directly to the usable full screen NAV page. Likewise, hitting the Audio section of the home screen brings you directly to full page Audio page, not the "select audio source page.

This is much better than what I was experiencing.

The home screen is configurable with either 2 or 3 panels. I currently have mine set up for NAV (1/2 of the screen), Audio (1/4 of the screen) and top 4 phone speed-dials (1/4 of the screen). Touching either the NAV or Audio panels bringz you directly to the (IMHO) best page for each function.

/Jim

mtl_sienna likes this.
  17. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is another little thing that I like compared to my previous 2006 Prius. The Outside Air Temperature (OAT) is always displayed on the dedicated climate control panel. In fact... the entire climate control panel is very well laid out.

We live in Portland OR... and we spend many (or most) weekends at the Oregon Coast. Both Portland and the coast are generally above freezing all winter long. There is a low mountain range between the two with ~2000' passes. These often have winter weather... or especially black ice. With the 2006 Prius, I would need to switch screen pages to see OAT... but with the 2015 v Wagon... it is shown on a dedicated display. I love it!

We also spend time in Central Oregon and for those trips, we need to cross the Cascades. We also ski in the Cascades. Those are MUCH higher, and for those trips, we leave the Prius at home and take the Jeep instead.

/Jim

#17 flynz4, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  18. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have been watching the outside temp on the climate control panel lately to see if I have to worry about frostbite when I get out into the regular winter storms here in central New York.

I had to look up the 2015 Prius v navigation manual to check out the home screen 2 or 3 panel function. Looks very useful and makes for a quick way to get to Navigation or what ever you select to have on your home screen like you posted. I also saw that they have added the voice command "cancel navigation" back in the 2015 Prius v. I guess I'll have to stop ranting about it being missing and start saving up for a prius v model year upgrade.

19. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The NAV system still has stability problems... which I hope might be updated with a software update in the future.

Example: Last night during a short trip... the unit seemed to be working fine and was responsive... except the touch screen on the lower left was inoperative. This is the "information" area that lets you cycle between Distance/ETA, Distance/Remaining-time, and Current-speed-limit/Road-name displays. Both my wife and I tried to cycle through the 3 options, but it was totally unresponsive. I rebooted (push power for 3+ seconds) the head unit while driving, hoping my route would still remain active (it did)... and after reboot, the functions worked fine.

Speaking of functions... it is an awkward design that the very useful "current speed limit" mentioned above is only available in one of the 3 information screens (arguably the least import of the 3). The speed limit icon is tiny, and could have easily been shown in any of the 3 modes... or on a dedicated portion of the screen. Once again, a less than stellar user interface decision.

In fairness, I am getting used to the unit but I still believe that it could use improvement. I surely wish there was a passenger operated over-ride option to allow full operation while driving. It seems any 3rd party add-ons require opening the dash, and splicing in wires... something I do not care to do on a new car... possibly voiding a warranty. The other significant issue seems to be the very small buttons, which are extremely easy to mis-hit. My wife was getting increasingly agitated as her hit-rate is only about 50%. By contrast, my 2006 Prius had huge buttons that were trivial to operate.

/Jim

20. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I hope they can fix 2015 Prius v screen issues via a firmware update for you. I'm glad you found the (new) way to reboot the head unit and it works as a workaround until Toyota fixes the problem. I think all the 2015 v owners should put videos of the problems with the head unit screens on YouTube to shame Toyota into fixing it faster. Also, I would get some good videos of the newest Nav system. I would love to see a "cancel navigation" voice command in action.

Now I have to read up on the speed limit feature on the 2015 v's.

Just a few thoughts for you Jim;
    You (or passenger) may be able to set a destination while driving via destination presets or address book entries. Or it might just be an Adv. Tech. Pkg. functionality.

Newer Garmin nuvi units give you 3 route options to select from like the Toyota Nav.

Newer Garmin units have a easy to see speed limit indicator and your actual speed changes color to red when you exceed the speed limit.

I use my Garmin nuvi 10% of the time. It is just easier to use the OK Toyota Nav that is always there, ready to go.