1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2 Me 08 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by stover.p, Jan 22, 2010.

1. stover.p

stover.p New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used 08 Prius a few weeks ago and I'm having a hard time getting used to the way it drives. I enjoy it don't get me wrong I just feel like I'm going to break it driving it like a normal car. I have a few questions:

Is it normal for all the arrows to not to light up on MDF at certain times?

Is it normal for the car to feel like it's sputtering on take off?

I've read where higher octane gas doesn't improve MPG's but I've tried both and do get better MPG's with it. Not sure if it's ok to use it or not.

How do I tell what option package I have? I know it's not the one with NAV, bluetooth or auto leveling lights but I do have auto tranny, power d/l and windows and no Ipod jack. Can you add an Ipod jack?

I hear randmon clicks and rumbles and I'm not sure if this is normal. I did take it to the dealership for an oil change and basic service and they said all looked good. It was a very clean used car. At the time of purchase it had 50,000 miles on it. I have no history of previous owner.

Any tips and tricks would be helpful. My previous car was an 08 Scion Xd and I loved it but had a wreck. Bought Toyota again because the safety features saved my life!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it's normal if non of the arrows light up sometimes
    Shouldn't feel like it's sputtering, it should accelerate normally when the accelerator is firmly pressed
    Dealer should be able to tell you the pkg. Do you have fog lights? If no fog lights it's probably pkg.2
    All the clicking is normal

Good luck with it and enjoy it!

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you just got the car a few weeks ago you don't have enough data on mileage to say definitively whether or not you get better MPG with higher octane fuel. The bladder system on the 2004-2009 models is too finicky to provide you with a clean answer without numerous fill ups. :)

4. Jackct

Jackct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got my used 08 Prius In Nov 08 and yes it takes some time to get used to. Also drove a Toyota Previously. I think the "Sputtering" you are referring to is the engine kicking in when you pull off. Sometimes if you gently push the accelerator the engine won't kick in so quickly. Sometimes you feel a little "Shud" when the engine turns off when you're driving below 40mph.

I really don't know the answer to high octane as I've only filled up twice and have used high octane. Averaged 49mph with 450 miles here in Miami.

The ipod jack is located in the center console, I have package 2 and was included.

If you want to learn more about the history you can always run a carfax on it and it will bring up how many owners its had and service history if any. Autocheck.com is a little cheaper and does the same job.

You'll hear noises coming from the electric motor during driving and when you've turned off the car. Its all normal from what I've read.

It will take time to get used to the electric/gas motor and you'll learn to let go of the gas pedal at the right times to recharge the battery.
    Goodluck and feel free to ask any further questions.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a 2 if you have a back-up camera. It's a 1 without. Register the car at http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html to get the dealer history. Stop wasting your money on higher octane. FE can fluctuate wildly tank-to-tank. Iinflate the tires & block the grill. Otherwise, situation normal. Relax & enjoy.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Prius is not a normal car, it is the best car in the world. So don't be surprised that it is a bit different. In fact, revel in it.

7. stover.p

stover.p New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I have package 1. The only thing in my center console is a 12 volt jack. I've been reading lots of stuff on here about after market stereos and I really want to keep the factory look and not spend an arm and leg getting a jack. Thanks for all the replies. Everyday is a new driving experience in my Prius.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just do like the rest of us an install an aftermarket stereo in the storage cubby below the factory radio. It's stealth and doesn't require any hacking. You can then do bluetooth, mp3, iPod, USB, etc. depending on your budget. :)