1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"New" 2006 in SoCal

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by srellim234, Jul 10, 2015.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've already had a few posts but haven't really introduced myself yet. Two weeks ago we were able to plop down the cash for a 2006 "Seaside Pearl" Prius with 120,000 miles on it. I've really liked the Prius since I was renting them during business travel in 2005 and 2006. Wintertime in Chicago and summertime in Fort Lauderdale didn't deter my enjoyment of the car.

We knew going in our car was due for some major fluid services (the CarFax was good but it was at that magic 120,000 mile mark). We also knew we wanted to put Michelin tires on the car. Mission accomplished; Michelin Energy Savers went on the car last week and the major service was done today. Here's hoping we're good with only routine maintenance for the next 120,000.

My wife of 37 years and I plan to use the Prius for the bulk of our driving instead of the 2002 Buick Rendezvous we currently use, keeping the Rendezvous for my wife for her 8 mile "commute" to the Metrolink station daily. She'll use the Prius when she has to actually make the 40 mile drive into work, which is only once or twice a month.

Other than that I'll be using it for short hops around town during the week (kids to school, shopping, etc.) so we don't expect much in the way of great mileage most of the time. The Prius should shine, however, the two or three times a month we head out across the Mojave on round trips of 200-500 miles visiting family and friends. I'll also be using it heading down to Palm Springs once or twice a month every summer to play golf with a friend. The prices out there are really cheap and definitely worth the drive with a gas sipper like a Prius.

The way we see it, with diligent care this might be the last or second to last car we buy. I am over 60 and don't plan to be one of those elderly drivers who are no longer safe behind the wheel. I am looking forward to the Prius experience; I've already learned quite a bit in only two weeks from the very helpful people here at PriusChat.

#1 srellim234, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Burna J likes this.