1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2006 owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ari, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello everyone! I'm a proud owner of a new Magnetic grey 2006 with Pkg #1. (Here in CA, apparently they only have #1, #3, #7, #8, at least according to some dealers.) I have been reading the forums ever since we got the car and couldn't wait any longer to post :p

Buying the thing was an adventure in itself. I recently read an article warning about the Sep 30 deadline for the federal tax credit. I talked things over with my wife for a little while and we decided to go for a Prius if we could actually find one locally. I called around, and sure enough most dealers had none to test drive and no one had any to sell. A couple reported that they had new stock coming in next week with some that were not spoken for yet. We were on our way down to test drive at one dealer when another one called and said a customer had not showed up to pick up their Prius - this one was now up for grabs! So we went to dealer #2 instead, and the salesman had us fill out the purchase paperwork (ie. credit application and agree to a final price) *before* the test drive! Someone was already wanting to buy the car at that very moment. (On the phone all dealers had said they would only sell at MSRP, some much more.) Someone else did end up buying that car before we could even drive it. It turned out they had *another* one of the exact same model that someone hadn't showed up to claim, so we ended up driving and buying that one. It had 6 miles on the odometer, so it was almost fresh off the truck as well. They took the sticker off the window so no one else could claim it while we filled out the remaining paperwork, even though there was another buyer in line by this time. Good grief! I know it's not this bad in all areas of the country. We drove it off the dealer lot a couple hours later.

This car is amazing! I'm coming from a 1992 BMW 325i that got about 20MPG in the city. Now I have a car that will get 40MPG on a bad day (ie. very hot sunny day.) After it gets broken in, I'm looking forward to some 50 MPG tanks. Overall, I don't feel like I've sacrificed *anything* in selecting this car. The price wasn't outrageous even if one doesn't consider the tax credit. With the tax credit it's a bargain. I will be saving $100/month in gas without a doubt. (Yes, I'm aware the tax credit might not actually happen for me.)

The oil level was about 0.25" above the top hole in the dipstick. If I can find some narrow tubing laying around in the garage, I might try to pull out the extra with a MityVac, but most likely I'll do nothing about it. (I didn't discover the forums until after we had the car, BTW, but I'll watch out for the level when I do oil changes.)

The tire pressures were 33 all around. I pumped them up to 42/40 this morning.

There are only 1000 HOV stickers left here in CA, and the dealer won't even submit my DMV paperwork until three weeks from now. So, I guess I won't get the stickers! They are somewhat ugly anyway, but I was going to get them. :mellow:

I find the climate controls easy to use. We also have a Honda Odyssey, and the controls are very similar. When it's hot, I make sure the AC is "on" and the system is in Auto mode. When it's cool outside, I just turn the AC to "off" (ie. just press the AC button once) and leave everything else untouched. Simple! Then I just get fresh air coming through the vents. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Haven't done any cosmetic changes yet except ripping off the ugly plastic wheel guards. I never even noticed them before, but having them off is a good cheap upgrade! Some day I'll get window tint, seat covers and a leather steering wheel wrap.

I predict that in 10 years time every car will have Hybrid capability as an option. After driving a hybrid, I can see that there is an awful lot of FUD out there in the media. It's as if some people *want* to stop obvious progress!

That's it for now! Thanks for all the great articles and experiences you have shared.

- Ari

2. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations & enjoy! I'm absolutely certain you will. :)

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey Cheers on your new car. Hopefully you'll post more in PC too!

Well some fiendish advice:
    About HOV stickers if you're really really desperate to have them, i'd say carry a digital camera along with you, and then photograph & crop the picture then print the sucker out.

After all of that, take your time to measure and adjust the size of the stickers, heh, and after that paste away. Oh, please btw make sure when u print out the final copy that it's in color. LOL. Cops don't even look at Prius in the lanes and they sure as hell won't check your sticker numbers. Great work around to it if you have the 'bollocks'.

Heh, i'm lovin my stickers.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats on your purchase and welcome to PriusChat!

5. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Congrats, Ari! Enjoy...and glad to see you here.

I'm a newbie here, too...only on my third tank...took delivery 7/18/06...

I thought the same about my oil but it'll be six months before I go in for my first "check-up" although I could have had them check and drain when they put new rear bumper on...

terri

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 31 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]312495[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you drive terri!? 3rd tank in more than a month!? Ack! I do two tanks a week. Double Ack! :eek:

7. NineToez

NineToez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Aug 31 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]312439[/snapback]</div>
    Packages will vary depending on region. In California, those packages are absolutely correct for the 2006 model year in the entire state here. Congrats on your new vehicle!

8. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 1 2006, 02:09 AM) [snapback]312613[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I'm surprised I have driven as much as I have already! I drive about 5000 miles a year...this year it may be 7000 because I love driving the Prius.

No..I'm retired...drive only close to home, short trips....my first new owned car in over 20 years!!

I worked for 49 years....wish I had the Prius when I was driving over 100 miles a day...one job in Illinois took me all over Lake County and another on Long Island took me all over Long Island on a regular basis.

But...glad I don't have to do that anymore....

So I won't get those high mpgs but that's ok....I use everything I've learned here and get in the low 40's.

terri

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats, Ari, and I think you're absolutely right about hybrids becoming the new standard.

If you think about it, the term "hybrid" might even be a little disingenuous when referring to our lovely cars, since they only get their power from one source: gasoline. They just do a better job of using it!

10. forman

forman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Aug 31 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]312439[/snapback]</div>
    I picked up a Pruis July 29th and had the HOV sticker stuff in the mail shortly after. I had it all returned by DMV and called to see what's up with that. She said I need a registration card in my name. I asked how many stickers are available cause I heard from the media there was only 900 left. She said that they will pass them out till the Department of Transportation says to stop. She also said they have passed out 90k of them.
    Anyway........I hope she was not full of BS cause my plates are not here yet either.

I did order Centerline RPM Forged wheels, 17x7 & General Exclaim UHP 215/45 17 tires. That should look cool!

Oh, Big mistake on a lease with 12k per year, first month I have driven 2k.

Don

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new Prius!! Glad to hear your first impressions of the car...you're really going to enjoy driving now! :D

11K miles and almost 7 months later I'm still looking for excuses to get out and drive my baby around because I have so much fun driving with him... :wub: