1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2007 Prius Owner!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmylozza, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

The wife and I just got a 2007 Prius last Saturday: black, grey interior, package #2, and several adds from Gulf States Toyota (plus my own addition of the all-weather mats). I would have liked to have bought a loaded out vehicle, but since the goal was to save money, the #2 package seemed like a better choice.

The story:

My job moved further away from me, so I had been making 60 mile round trips in lifted 2004 Discovery at 12 MPG highway. :blink: (We kept the Disco, but the wife drives it now only 10 miles daily).

After driving the Prius for five days, I've averaged 47.8 mpg with about 25% in town, and 75% highway. I had been averaging 45 mpg earlier in the week, but following another poster's advice found that driving 69 mph is a good number. On the highway at 69 the current consumption stays just around 52 mpg, so I'm sure the overall average will continue to go up (I had been going 75). The vehicle doesn't seem underpowered. As a matter of fact, the Beetle convertible we traded in on the Prius had the non-turbo engine, and that thing couldn't get out of it's own way, so perhaps it's about perspective. :p Speaking of perspective, it was nice to put in $17 of gas instead of $55, and to know that it would get me 2-3X further. High summer gas prices? BRING IT! :lol:

As for comfort, I'm quite impressed. The front seats are surprisingly well designed and comfortable. I'm 6' 1" and don't feel cramped at all. I have much more shoulder room and leg room than in the Discovery. More importantly, the room in the back seats seems huge - maybe because the car doesn't look that big from the outside. My parents drive an Accord, and I think I actually have a bit more room in the rear of the Prius. Even with the driver's seat all the way back, I have four inches between my knees and the driver's seat. A coworker who rode with me to lunch the other day had no problem sitting back there even at 6' 4".

I love the Smart Key. So cool. So convenient. Between that and the backup camera, everyone that's seen it has been wowed. Speaking of backup camera, I don't think the car needed it, but it is cool. Now about that backup beep removal mod... I need to find some spare time to do that pronto!

I was worried at first about the difficulty of adjusting things like the A/C from the touch-screen until I realized you just do it all from the steering wheel. With it set on Auto A/C, I just bump the temp up and down. Easy! Same with the radio. My only complaint with the generic CD player stereo is that the quality of the sound leaves a bit to be desired. I'm sure I'll find a way to improve that at some point. It sounds like it just needs a more powerful amp.

I also have to say that I really like the gear selector lever. At less than a week it's already second nature, and dare I say, "fun". :)

My list of future mods: nice dark window tint, audio upgrade, and much later - black alloys.

And just for the record, yes the lighting of the steering wheel controls are not bright enough. I'm hoping that the window tint will make them easier to see in the city.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to the site. I originally wanted a loaded car but am quite happy with my lower end. I don't miss all the stuff I really didn't need (or want in some cases). After listening to everyone here the OEM options aren't as wonderful as they might seem. You may want to consider increasing tire pressure to 42 front/40 back to pick up a little mpg.

Enjoy.

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Thanks, I'll adjust the pressure!

4. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jan 25 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]380953[/snapback]</div>
    Yes hello and welcome! I am a relatively new Prius owner (took delivery 12/29/06) and couldn't be happier with my decision! I also got package #2 as you did especially since i live in "the north country" as the folks up here in Northern New Hampshire call it. :) I chose the silver metallic due to the fact it is a neutral color and will hide the dirt much better than a darker color (especially in the wintertime here with all the snow and road sand/salt).

I traded in my Jeep Liberty, which i HATED driving since i rolled it about 2 years ago. My other car is a 1995 Honda Civic, which also gives very good gas mileage, but is not as comfortable as the Prius to drive.

I just swapped my tires for Nokian WR's. I upgraded them due to the area I live in and the ratings that i read about the original OEM tires. The Goodyear dealer that I went to actually purchased back my Integrities and applied it to the Nokian WR's.

Well hope to see you around and I'm really happy for you!

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Enjoyed reading your impressions. Your MPG seems typical, based on the numbers people have been reporting through my site's fuel economy survey. Enjoy the car.

6. kd5yig

kd5yig New Member

Just thought I would chime in as well. I am also a new Prius owner in the Dallas area. So new in fact, I haven't actually picked it up from the dealer (that will be tonight, would have been wednesday except I didn't want to do financing through Toyota, went with my credit union instead)

I will be picking up an 07 Magnetic Grey with package 4. This is coming down from a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner which was totaled on the Ice that we had on 1/15.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kd5yig @ Jan 26 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]381181[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. You may want to update your information to increase credibility.