1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new 2008 ex-taxi prius owner w/ 587,000 KM!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusvid, Oct 27, 2018.

1. priusvid

priusvid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Just saying hello and looking for helpful tips, tricks, and opinions!

First off ill tell you that I bought an ex-taxi off someone for pretty cheap. I've always wanted a prius so I thought I would take a risk...

I think it's in pretty good shape... Initially a couple weeks ago I went to look at it and it had been sitting for some time, and we got it fired up and there was a big red triangle, engine light, but the owner said when he parked it, it was good. I came back today (a couple weeks later) for a test drive and the red triangle was gone, I took it out on the highway and it felt solid, and the battery appears to be functioning on some level... I also cleared a po0420 (cat code), and it has not yet come back on after some driving time. The battery hovers around two bars mostly, but I tried holding the brake and pressing the gas and the bars moved up pretty quickly (about a minute). I did that twice, is it recommended to do that often or can it damage anything? It actually drives really nicely, feels like its sipping fuel, the ICE is on a little more than I would like, but not sure what to expect at this point. It purrs quite nicely so not to complain on that front. All in all for the price I paid, I definately cannot complain, as it's running and driving with a fair amount of power, stopping and handling solid.

Lurking around I found there was an app that I can change the settings of the annoying seat belt chime? iOS freebees or battery condition apps anyone please recommend? I do have an ELM reader. What do you all recommend off the top? I've done a fair amount of DIY projects and regular maintenance on gas guzzlers.... Going to read the owners manual now...

Ive also seen something about a harness that can prolong the life of the battery... Would anyone recommend that? Thanks for all of your input and helpful suggestions.

IMG_5342.JPG IMG_5343.JPG

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Considering the mileage, I won't buy such a car. But sin e its cheap, and you want such risks, be prepared for a new replacement battery, suspension system problems, and maybe the AC system.

In fact, you might need to work on the engine, if and if.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

The equipment you’re referring to is the Prolong equipment from Hybrid Automotive. I use it effectively and share the charger and Discharger with 2 other members here and it works well for us ;).

Some questions:
    • How long are you planning on keeping this?
    • Do you have a Techstream setup for future DIY work?
    • What kind of funds do you have set aside for inevitable issues?
    • If you have a cat code, how much oil does the Prius consume and in what timeline?
    • Was the person you bought from the taxi company?
    • Did they give you any history for the car?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. priusvid

priusvid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks alot for the reply. I plan on keeping it until it becomes to expensive to justify a repair.
    Don't have techstream, im pretty low budget so trying to get ahead of the curve now...
    I checked the oil and it looks clean and full. Another code came up too, (PO104). The person I got this off is a taxi driver (he had 3 hybrids), quite a nice guy actually, and honest enough. No history other than he said he changed the transmission fluid regularly along with the oil. I image the battery has been changed at some point with this milage. I would like to flush the inverter fluid, coolant and T. Fluid as my first projects, and they look straightforward enough from what I saw on YouTube.. The codes don't have me too concerned as the car is driving quite well. The battery has gotten into the green only once on a longer drive, and consistently stays between 2 and 5 bars...

Today I changed a headlight and the battery in one of the Key Fobs. This car is so fun to drive, it has given me the impetus to go out exploring a little more.

Oh, but I really don't like the seat! I read a post here trying to determine if there is a different one I could pull from the wrecker's with little modification. If anyone reads this and can suggest one that works... Thanks a lot for your suggestions... Would it be possible to rent the charger-discharger so I can condition the battery? I think it was sitting for six months before I picked it up and I still don't drive it a whole lot as I try to use my e-bike primarily.

Att: is the codes i pulled, i have no idea what the second set means... If anyone can give some feedback on these codes, would be very much appreciated.

Also, whats your favorite ios app for prius related stuff free and paid.

IMG_5351.PNG IMG_5352.PNG IMG_5353.PNG

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The p0104 code shows that there's an intermittent problem with the MAF sensor. Check the air filter in the air filter assembly, and clean it, if dirty. If its clean, check the MAF sensor, and clean it with electronic cleaner.
    P0420 implies your catalytic converter is already under performing. You may need to have it replaced.

6. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My personal advice to you. Change the oil regularly and also check it frequently. I would also recommend Mobil 1 synthetic oil. With that many miles, I would use 10W30. Consider changing the tranny fluid also.

James1964 likes this.