1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2008 Prius - Perfect, Except Steering Wheel Not Centered!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kizzy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Drove home my new 2008 Prius just yesterday. It seems just about perfect, except I noticed that the steering wheel is off-center a few degrees to the right when the car is going straight. It's pretty subtle, but it's there. It doesn't seem to be an alignment issue (it tracks straight when my hands are off the steering wheel), it appears simply that the steering wheel is not calibrated to be dead center when the car is pointed straight ahead.

I did a search around these forums and found a few old posts on this subject and it doesn't seem to be too uncommon. Apparently we are allowed a free four-wheel alignment from Toyota within the first 12,000 miles or one year. Should I take it in now and have it fixed? Or wait until I actually need an alignment?

Anyone else have this problem recently?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had that problem after the steering wheel recall but mine was WAY off center. I had mine done the following week since I could not get a day off to have it done. If I was you I would have it done as soon as possible. I would not wait because it would bug the heck out of me.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd have it fixed so it doesn't bother you. It's not a safety issue, but it's your new car; you have a right to expect it to be perfect.

Tom

4. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same problem on my 2008. In every other regard, the car is flawless - in my case the steering wheel is off-center to the left perhaps 3 or 4 degrees. I will get it fixed at the first (5,000 mile) service.

5. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the same problem with mine, I took it in within a week of picking it up, and now it's fine. I have heard from a few other 2008 owners and they have said the same thing.

Sounds like it's time for a TSB.

Happy Holidays to All.

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where did you get this info from?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a 'secret' 12mo/12k mile "adjustment warranty" where there are several little things you can get for free during that period. If you complain about pulling, or poor tracking, poor gas mileage or the steering wheel being off you can request an alignment. There are dealer customizable settings available and they'll do those for you during the adjustment warranty as well.
    I've not seen a word of this published anywhere, but I've also never heard anyone have those services denied during the adjustment period.

8. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Actually the warranty in NOT 12 month 12000 miles.

It is 12 months/20000 miles!:p

That is the standard factory allowed warranty for "adjustments". That includes such things that are normal wear and tear items that are expected to wear out, but should be perfect when ou first get the car.
    Two that come to mind right off are alignment issues and tire balance issues.

If your steering wheel is not centered, you are entitled to have it corrected!
    Now comes the bad news..... Adjustment items are only good once.
    If your alignment is adjusted and you agree, yes, it is right, and then you whack a pothole and knock the alignment out again, you get to pay for the next one. Same goes for tire balance.

BTW Please bear in mind that the only thing that can be adjusted on a Prius is font wheel toe. Caster can not be adjusted and camber can only be moved slightly by loosening the lower strut bolts and pushing or pulling the strut in the desired direction while tightening the bolts. The rear axle is a solid beam and has no adjustment.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The alignment warranty first appears in the TSB on the subject. Go to the Pull to the Left thread (among other places) to print out the alignment TSB if you need it:

http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30286

Then, I believe that 2008 is the first time you see the alignment warranty in the Owner's Manual/Warranty that comes with the car. [EDIT: Just checked my 2007 Warranty booklet, and the alignment warranty (12 months/20,000 miles) is there too.]

10. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So my obvious next question is....will taking it in now and having them correct my non-centered steering wheel be considered an alignment job as far as Toyota is concerned? My car actually does track straight when my hands are off the wheel, it's only the calibration of the steering wheel that is at issue. But will I be using up my free alignment in the process? If so, should I wait until the car actually DOES need an alignment within the first year or 20 months? Seems to me they should fix the steering wheel issue as an initial adjustment, and allow me to still get the free alignment later. What do you think?

11. Bear68

Bear68 Member

An excellant point! And if you present it to the dealer just that way you will be correct. You are NOT asking for an alignment. You are asking them to straighten the wheel. Adjusting the slignment is simply the procedure necessary to achieve that end result. If, at a later date, you Prius should begin to pull to one side or the other, an alignment may be needed in order to correct that issue. However, it is NOT the same issue! Therefore you are not responsible for the second alignment.

The same can be said for check engine lights. Most of our customers do not understand that a check engine light today which indicates a bad oxygen sensor is NOT the same thing as the check engine light last month which indicated a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. They see it as the same problem twice in a month while the tech sees two separate issues.

12. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Bear. I'll do just that. I've got an appointment set for next Thursday.

At the same time I'm going to see if I can also get them to show me how to open the under hood fuse box (just for my future knowledge in case I ever need to do a jump). Man, talk about a strange contraption. The manual says to just open the tabs on the case. But what tabs!? I doubt Houdini himself could get into the thing, let alone out of it. :)

Thanks to all who replied about my steering wheel issue. I love PriusChat!

-Kizzy

13. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Just limber up your wrist and reach down just behind the left headlight. Where the fuse box seems to narrow, feel for the tab at the center of that point and press in towards the back of the car and lift. It will pop right up! Just watch out for sharp edges!! No blood on the new Prius!!

14. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take it back to the dealer and have them align your car and don't forget to mention to them to center your steering wheel.

I don't think you have an alignment problem, but I am sure in order to straighten your steering wheel they will have to put it on the rack so no settings are changed.

Good Luck.

15. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is in our warranty book for the '08 model.:cool:

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Huh... Rudy's steering wheel has been a couple of degrees to port since I got him... I never thought much of it, but I'd better have that corrected before I get to 20K miles! :)

Thanks, Bear!

17. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks again Bear. I finally figured it out. It's not really obvious, especially since there is an arrow on the top of the fuse cover pointing to the right, indictating that maybe it is supposed to come off from left to right. In actuality, it comes off from front to back (as you described). And it's the kind of thing where less pressure is more as you're depressing the front tab. Just pops right off.

Cheers!

18. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The arrow on the fuse box cover points to the slot that the hood support rod fits into. It is not intended to help you get the cover off.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The manuals actually do mention using offset-shank bolts on the
    front knuckles to make minor camber changes.
    And there are people who have managed to compensate for slightly
    bent rear axle beams with shims behind the rear bearing plates.
    _H*

20. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting. My nearly brand new 2008 also has the steering wheel a tiny degree to the right. It's not off alignment at all. Just a slighly off wheel maybe?

All this time I've assumed it had to do with most roads sloping to the right for rain runoff. Anyway, I am a firm believer in "If it aint broke, dont fix it". Some technician *might* just make it worse... It works good now, its just an aesthetic thing the way I see it.