1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2009 Hybrid sedan from Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hb06, Feb 4, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "The new midsize sedan will join Toyota’s Prius and will be fitted with a 2.5-3.0L engine, rather than the anemic 4 cylinders 1.5L engine currently found in the Prius."

"The new hybrid model will use a new engine, which will be both smaller and lower priced due to Toyota’s third-generation hybrid system.The next generation Prius as well as other hybrid Toyota models will also feature this new powerplant."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/new-...ta-ar18433.html

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know how accurate their information is but here are my thoughts.

Prius, Avensis and Scion Tc share the same platform. It looks like Toyota is bringing Avensis hybrid verions to US? Avensis size is between Corolla and Camry. The powertrain is going to be more powerful than current Camry Hybrid (2.4L)? It sounds like a Sports Hybrid car size very similar to Prius.

Dennis

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those statements seem contradictory. First sentence says they'll use a larger ICE, the second says the engine will be smaller. And how would this next car be better/different than the camry hybrid?

Sounds like someone picked up a tiny fragment of info somewhere and didn't know what he/she was hearing.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]385554[/snapback]</div>
    The second sentence doesn't say that the ICE will be smaller... just 'the engine'. They could be referring to the electric engine being smaller, which is what Toyota did with the Camry Hybrid.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not a hybrid that interests me. I want smaller ICE, larger battery and a charging plug.
    Another 4 door sedan seems a little off. Wouldn't it be better to launch the escrima? Let's hope the information is not true.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 5 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]385555[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, that makes sense...they mixed up 'engine' with 'motor/generator'...

Still, I don't really understand the point of another midsize hybrid sedan w/ the Camry and Prius options that already exist.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]385568[/snapback]</div>
    I think Toyota may be gambling on the idea that unique hybrid models will outsell models that have both conventional and hybrid powertrains. The sales of the Prius v. All Other Hybrids would seem to make that a pretty good gamble.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that this new hybrid sedan is supposed to get "anywhere from 2.0 litres to 3.0 litres"

IOW, it could be another 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder hybrid. If it's 6 cylinder, it'll be more powerful or at least, as powerful as the current Camry V6 so it won't compete with the TCH

If it's 4 cylinder, then we'll see how it's tuned. Since it's a smaller engine and presumably more powerful battery (and of course lighter than the TCH), it could get better mpg.

It'll be good for those who own the old Camrys (e.g. Gen 3) and find the current one a tad too big.

If it's a sports car, well that's self-explanatory. The TCH isn't a sports car by any measure.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 5 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]385603[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the article said 2.5 to 3.0 liters. With the next gen HSD system, this will put the performance on par with V6-V8 equivalent. Interesting..... FT-HS's little brother? Could it be indeed the production version of FT-HS concept car? It makes sense given the price range given ($30k+). It might not make 400+ hp but the smaller car might be able to get 0-60mph pretty quick. It is stated to be a Sedan while FT-HS is two doors. Hmmm..

Dennis

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anemic? When most of your commuting is stop-n-go, what do you need more than 1.5L for?

In Japan, 600cc is enough for most people to get around anywhere even in rain, sleet, snow. Do you really need to go from 0-60 in 6 seconds to merge onto a road, congested or not?

Americans aren't just pigs because of their waistlines and their need for "space".

11. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Feb 5 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]385694[/snapback]</div>
    Oink, oink. I would love a 2.5L V4 or even a small V6 in my Prius. I bought the car for the emissions and the space, not to save $$ on gas. I can't afford a Lexus GS400h. However, a Prius with a larger more powerful ICE would make me quite happy on both the onramps as well as lane changing.

I do worry about what the 2009 models will do to the resale values of the 2006,2007,2008 models though. :(

12. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Feb 5 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]385694[/snapback]</div>
    Climb uphill with two passengers and not delaying eveone behind?

BTW, we also don't need houses, what's wrong with 500sq ft apt for 4 people? We don't need meat either, veggies are good for everyone. TV is clearly a distraction with zero value, so let's ban or severy tax it. Ice cream must be banned - not healthy. What else... Oh, yes, no more than two pair of shoes per person - why would anyone need more? and yes, and alcohol should be banned too.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Feb 5 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]385673[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, it is 2.5 to 3.0 litres.

14. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear @ Feb 5 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]385829[/snapback]</div>

Can you really not get up hills with your prius? I drive with 2 people and sometimes 3. Luggage too. Never have problems going up hills. I usually end up passing lots of people on my way up. I love zipping past them with my 'slow' prius. More than enough power for me and my friends.

-Peter B

15. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I am so surprised to hear of people not being able to go up hill with two people in their Prius. I just got back from my first over-the-hill trip in ours. There was absolutely no problem with power going up hill. I mean there was just me and no luggage, but I was no where near seeing any problem at all. In fact, it has way more spunk than the Honda Accord that I normally drive. So, I'm not sure why the need for the new Prius would be to give it more power.

It seems to me, that the next Toyota marvel should get better MPG. Our record in this family is.
    1985 VW Rabbit 55 MPG (think that's what it was, it has been so long now!)
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi (the Rabbit's Diesel Engine blew up in the middle of nowhere with only 85K miles on it) Anyway this car got 22 miles per gallon.
    1998 Honda Accord LX 32 miles per gallon always, everywhere, for ever!!!!
    2007 donated the Lxi, and bought the Prius, which, so far, has been getting us 45 MPG. I really thought we would be driving all electric by now, or at least averaging 80 with a hybrid.

One other thing I found out today: my husband has a lead foot! I got 49 MPG on the same trip that he gets 44 to 46!

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Feb 8 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]387167[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know. I climbed up a local mountain with 3 people (including me) and ski gear without any problems. Kept up with my friend's Matrix.

What I do notice is if it's loaded with 5 people. The usual main thoroughfare to the downtown core is up and down a hill. I usually make it up the hill with no change in the battery meter. Last Sat, I had 5 people on board and I used up 2 bars on the same street. Granted, I wasn't asking the engine to do much as I was trying to preserve my 55mpg (obviously it didn't work. I'm down to 50mpg) so the battery took up slack I guess.

17. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Feb 8 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]387167[/snapback]</div>
    I spent the summer working an internship in Denver. During my time there, I tackled every mountain pass I could find. I never had an issue of keeping up with the flow of traffic, and I found that the Prius climbed hills as well as any small (non-performance) car I have driven. I even took it to the top of Pike's Peak, and there were two other Prii at the summit. I am not suggesting it can pull every pass at 75 mph, but that is hardly necessary.

I would rather see Toyota move towards a smaller engine. I would prefer a focus on fuel economy rather than performance. Let's face it: The Prius was never intended to be a sports car, and I am fairly certain most owners did not buy it with blazing speed in mind. I am not suggesting that performance and fuel economy are mutually exclusive, but it is sad that a focus on horsepower is necessary to market this car to a wider audience in the US.

18. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear @ Feb 5 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]385829[/snapback]</div>
    I can do this already with no problem. And up a rather steep grade for 5 or more miles. And at speeds greater than what is posted. All at the same time.

19. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear @ Feb 5 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]385829[/snapback]</div>
    How big are your passengers?

I was actually surprised at how well my Prius does on hills because of all the "can't get out of it's own way" comments that I read in reviews. Maybe there would be a problem if I was at a full stop and then had to climb a steep hill, but at highway speeds with passengers it doesn't seem to have a problem at all.