1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2010 Owner -MPG display question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dayglo, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dayglo

dayglo New Member

Model:
    II
    New owner of 2010 (base model).

Overall quite happy, 270 miles so far, averaging 47.2 MPG.

Question: I would prefer a MPG display in numerical format instead of the gauge. Is there any way to set it this way?

2. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    :welcome:
    Please press the "Trip" button on the steering wheel, until you find the display you like. There are trip A and trip B. Both can be reset to 0. I leave trip A alone so that it will show cumulative information from the starting day. I reset trip B before any specific trip that I want to record. Good luck!

3. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think he means the instantaneous gauge...AFAIK you only get a vertical graph for that one, which is good because having to read rapidly changing numbers on a dashboard probably isn't such a good idea, in addition to being kinda useless.

If you want to find out your mpg for a trip use the trip buttons as suggested above...you can also see your mpg for 5 minute intervals as both a series of vertical graphs and numbers.

4. dayglo

dayglo New Member

Model:
    II
    Yes, I meant the instantaneous gauge... I will play with the trip button as suggested. Thanks!

5. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually like the instantaneous gauge that way a lot better than a number. The bars let you know how you are doing with just a quick look and also gives you a better representation of how you are doing in the whole range, but that's just me...

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Scangauge gives you a numerical display. I too like the number as opposed to a ribbon.

7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You could add a Scangauge II which can display current mpg, rpm, coolant temp, etc. It installs easily and will help monitor the hybrid system.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, ScanGaugeII can be purchased through this site and installed in 10 minutes. Then you can choose 4 of the available readouts including MPG, Tach, Coolant Temp, Throttle Position, Ign Timing, etc. There are several good threads on the ScanGauge.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm suspicious about the mpg read-out - anyone else notice?

My G3, IV has 5300 miles ... "lifetime average is 53.6 mpg (calculated) I am well satisfied.

I have documented every mile and every gallon. I downloaded someones mileage EXCEL chart, so I am taking no credit ... or assessing blame.

But now that colder weather is setting in and mileage is dropping sllightly, I seem to be witnessing that the difference between actual and indicated is increasing. Here is my point: I wonder if the computer is programmed to read proportionately higher as the actual mileage falls? Said another way ... when my actual mileage was 54+ mpg, the indicated difference ..... was 1.2 mpg. Now that my actual is down around 50+, the indicated difference ...... is more like 3.5 mpg. If I did not calculate the actual .... I would think that my mileage was almost as good as before based solely on the indicated mpg.

After I have a few more fill-ups, I will graph the observation and see if there is a correlation, or it is my imagination.

Lastly .... anyone have any idea how the mpg is computer calculated? Fuel flow past the fuel pump? My Dodge truck has a mph gauge, and it is 4 mpg on the "rosey side" ... always has been. I read that somehow it measures the weight of fuel in the tank, and calculates the mpg. That seems a bit far-fetched ... but maybe?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Past threads, here and elsewhere, disagree on how fuel consumption is computed -- injector pulses and times (which are available to the engine controller) or airflow (used very successfully by ScanGauge, which lacks access to injector activity).

If the later, then seasonal changes in fuel blend will change the computed accuracy. ScanGauge recalibrates when the user enters the actual gallons pumped for refills. Prius has no such feedback mechanism.

1 person likes this.
  11. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What he said = )