1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2010 owners comment on new display

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sshaw10, Jun 11, 2009.

1. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Much to my employers dismay I spend a lot of time purusing these boards as a 2010 is in my near future. I don't see too much about the new display which seems like one of the bigger changes.

I rented a 2008 and loved the big display with flowing colors showing me what was going on but that was only for a couple days. I figure the novelty wears off and the real purpose is to convey information to the driver. I'm wondering, from those that have now spent some time with their new 2010's what are your impressions of the new display? I'm looking at a III without NAV so I'd be without the screen. Thanks for any info and enjoy your new rides!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Much improved IMO. I hated having everything like climate control under one screen...

While the new MID lacks great color it does the job of what we need it to do good enough for me. And having a separate screen for climate control was something I had wished for.

If you get a non nav vehicle, you'd still have the MID on top which shows the car with the arrows, the bar graphs for 1 and 5 minute consumption intervals etc. So really only thing you would lose is the nav map and the screen for showing radio info on a color screen...

3. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish it were easier to see the orange color signifying engine power, but it doesn't really matter b/c I just watch the instant fuel economy to see if the engine is off anyhow. I find I'm not often on the energy monitor screen. I tend to sit on the 5 minute interval or the screen with the Charge/Eco/Power stages on it.

I like that EVERYTHING isn't tied into the screen as well.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone checked to see if the new display is ready for the Digital Transition on June 12?

1 person likes this.
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have one yet but I agree it is much improved.

6. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II

:fish:

1 person likes this.
  7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I MUCH prefer having the MID display higher up and in a place where a quick glance is not going to be as distracting. I also MUCH preferred the brighter colors and better information display in the Gen2 MFD Energy Screen. The Gen3 MID Energy Screen offers very little of real, useable value. If the colors were more distinct and the arrows used brighter and different colors to designate the direction of energy flow, I'd be ecstatic.

The 2010's MID offers a bit more information, though. I do like the ability to look at either 1-min or 5-min Consumption Screens. I also very much like the additional displays for the two trip odometers. I didn't really utilize the separate trip odometers very well in my '07. I put them to constant use in my 2010 (Trip A for distinct trips and to differentiate between "around town" use vs. "on a trip" use; Trip B for individual tanks, regardless of whether the tank fill comes in the middle of a Trip A event).

The brand new display (the Hybrid System Indicator or "HSI") is what has caught my attention and is usually on display on my dash. I'm still working out what it might mean. See these two threads for more discussion on the HSI: Hybrid System Indicator and Stealth and Got the "Feel" of the HV/ICE Line!

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any Reflection Onto Windshield?

On the Gen II, there were unintended reflections of the display onto the windshield that were most visible (and annoying to some) at night:

(1) a green bar coming from the green light of the speedometer, and

(2) an orange reflection of the passenger side airbag info.

I was wondering if the 2010 had any similar unintended reflections of the display onto the windshield?

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: Any Reflection Onto Windshield?

I haven't noticed any yet. The display is buried pretty deeply in that upper dash.

10. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OMG!! I Haven't Thought About That ??:flame:

Now What Do I do?? :sick:

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never had any reflections bother me yet on my 2010 but honestly, I never was bothered by reflections on my 2006 as well. Maybe ones height or driving position plays a big role in the reflections?

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

I never was bothered by the reflections either, but the two ones I talked about (green speedo + orange passenger seat belt) are definitely there in the Gen II. However, both reflections in the Gen II are very fixable.

Was just wondering if any similar reflections on the windshield were there in the Gen III.

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't noticed any, but the slight reflection in the Gen2 never really disturbed me, either.