1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2010 owners - what reactions have you received?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Jul 4, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was wondering what people - your family, friends, coworkers, and strangers - have had to say about your new babies. Do most people know what type of car it is? Are they curious or impressed?

Those of you with the solar roofs -- I would imagine you've received the most comments since it makes the Prius look so different from the previous generations.

When I first got my 2006, several strangers asked me how much I paid for it. I thought it was a strange first question!

2. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The first neighbor to stop by, day after I picked up my V, was almost in shock when he saw my car. He and his wife were considering the '10 Prius but didn't know it was released yet. They saw a few articles and have friends with Gen 2.
    They looked mine over in the garage, sat in it, and were blown away. I gave them my dealer contact info and they ordered one the same day. Said they thought they'd like theirs in black but decided on a Red III. It's to arrive 7/16. They already sold their Saturn and are psyched for the Prius. But.... they didn't want to take mine for a drive - even though I offered. I told them they should really go to the local Toyota dealer and test drive one very well. Haven't done that as far as I know. They're both around 70.
    So...hope they're happy with it when it comes in.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All i get is people making the noise that guy makes in the Jetti tdi VS Prius tv commercials. I find it funny.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had cars pass by on the freeway where the passengers will turn their heads back and stare for long periods of time. Some are in Gen II Prius, some in other cars. I've also had other Gen II drivers stare from time to time (obvious when they drop to peer over their sunglasses).

Had another instance where I was dropping off donations at Goodwill, and one attendant recognized the car, and asked if it was the one w/ the solar roof. His buddy could care less though.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most interesting reaction I've received was on the highway, an Insight pulled up beside me, and gave me a thumbs up! :) I reciprocated.

6. syncmacd

syncmacd Waxing is Relaxing

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had someone in an Explorer tailgate me all the way up to a red light before a long straightaway. (Come on, it's a red light, we're not going anywhere!) I put it into POWER MODE and timed the light perfectly, was through the other side of the intersection before he could even get started. Unfortunately I couldn't see his face as he was too far behind me.

Ok I know it's childish and it ruins my 57 mpg but it was fun to do once. If you're used to driving in eco mode then power mode can be a nice surprise!

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh...you didn't go, "Na na-na na na....my FE is better than your-ours" :D?

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know that commercial. Is it on YouTube?

9. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, I haven't noticed anything beyond a casual glance. Even G2 owners don't seem to give it a second look. And most non-Prius owners probably don't recognize it as being any different than other Prii on the road.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear that a lot at work too. Some folks with SUV's can't stop cracking on the Prius.

11. jonathandz

jonathandz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't noticed anyone giving it any unusual looks. Friends who have ridden in it have been impressed with the roominess.

12. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work with a bunch of V8 driving mechanics at my job and the word is out that I got a new car so everyone wants to see it. I'm very surprised at their positive comments! They all really like the glittery colour (Blue Ribbon), the spaceship console and screens, the backup camera in the rearview (sorry you Americans don't have that option), and I generally just hear alot of WOW. The big guys are surprised at the amount of room inside too.
    Anyway, after showing them the car for a few minutes they'll ask what kind of car it is or they notice the Hybrid decal and go, "Wait a minute this is a hybrid?!" Then they all need to see under the hood and hear the specs. And 75% of people that see my car ask how often I have to plug it in. :rolleyes:

13. Sheltie Guy

Sheltie Guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Family - "it's prettier than mine" ('10 is Blue Ribbon Metallic; "miine" is an '04 tide green something - my "old" car :rolleyes:)

Friends - "Nice color"; "More storage in back than I thought"

Co-Workers - "Did you get a tax break?"; "Why not a Fusion?"; "What happend when the battery needs to be replaced/How expensive is it to replace the battery?".

Strangers - No comments yet, but I have seen some Gen2 drivers do a double take.

14. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I forgot about that...most people whom I've taken for a ride in my 2006 ask me whether I have to plug it in.

I suspect that there isn't too much reaction to the new Prius from strangers because it doesn't look that different from Gen II (unless you've been paying attention, like we do). The solar roof is definitely different, though.

15. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just goes to show that 75% of the people haven't a clue!

You should tell the strangers that you don't have to plug it in, because the solar panel generates electricity! Which is a true statement, though perhaps deviously incomplete!

16. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I don't have the solar roof or I'd use that line for sure. :p
    Funny reaction yesterday as I drove by a couple walking along the Seawall. He says, "Look honey, that's the new 2009 Prius." At least he noticed it was different from the old one!

17. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    They love it! I have a sunroof and love to keep it open just for the attention :D

18. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Julie -- where have you been? I PM'd you...

19. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One friend wants to know where the nav lady is hiding! :)

When I show friends the DRCC and LKA they are amazed! "Unbelievable!" is a typical reaction. Usually followed by "I need to have one of these!" Then I finish them off by showing the the parking assistant! They think I'm steering the car with my feet on hidden pedals! ;)

Friends who've never ridden with a GPS (yes, there are still people who haven't!) are invariably blown away! "No more road maps!!!" or "How does it know??"

Other comments:
    "Wow, it's so roomy!"
    "Comfortable seats!"
    "You mean you don''t have to insert the key???" (SmartKey System)
    "HOW MANY MPG????????!!!!!!???????"
    "And you're exempt from HOV restrictions????" (in VA)

Stu

20. iarthur

iarthur iarthur2010

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I get people starring at the car, it is quite amazing??